Monday, February 05, 2007

I'm All for It!!

Heard a little talk on the radio about a new trend called 'The Mannaisance'. It's a movement meant to re-introduce maleness in our society. Gender roles are blurry these days- that's not entirely bad. I enjoy voting & equal pay- however, I also enjoy seeing a good contrast between men & women. I think it's neat when women are lady-like and men are..... well, MANLY. (In saying this, I'm not addressing homosexuals- they accept being different than their physical genders indicate)
I don't think we should worship fashion, but we seem to be fashion flunkies these days. Used to be, people dressed up and tried to look nice for public events, now everything- including the symphony are dress down occasions. I'm all for comfort, but is nothing special anymore? People even attend weddings & funerals in jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops these days. We've been looking at the same ill-fitted fashions for about 15 yrs now. I'm tired of the sloppy, droopy-pants look on guys, the painfully tight tops for girls and show-yer-undies jeans, the slouchy, I'm-a-loser postures and messy, I-don't-care-a-flying-flip hair.
I am not homophobic, I'm a reasonably fashionable person and have a strong tomboy streak. I do jeans & boots well, but I think it's WAY cool when women have a more tailored look & good hair. Conversely, guys in a manly role should look.... well.... MANLY.

For example, there are Russian guys who come into the YMCA. They are students, but they have also been in the military. They aren't dressed overly trendy and they aren't all pretty in the face, but they are totally buff and masculine. They are not overly flirty, but walk with heads held high, shoulders back, chest out and there is a dignity about them that is positively magnetic. They are ALL guy and you can feel their presence when they are around. Perhaps it's in the genes?? When they talk to me, I suddenly feel more lady-like. I've observed how other people react to their presence. The girls are suddenly paying attention. They play with their hair and giggle. Seriously, these guys attract the girls like crazy! Men notice them too. When the Russian guys walk by, men suck in their guts and try to go heavier with their benchpresses.

Manly men helped shape this country. True, some men were egocentric jerks who treated women as sub-human sex objects, but there were also strong, honorable, Godly men. The men who weren't afraid to stand up for what they believed in. The kind who defended a ladies honor, built cabins with little more than an ax, hammer, wooden pegs & bare hands. These guys could bring home the bacon, look danger in the eye and they took care of their families. Their hands were calloused, their arms strong and they had a lot of heart- putting women and children in lifeboats ahead of themselves. Don't think manliness matters anymore? Then look on the cover of any women's romance novel and you'll see pictures of ladies in the arms of MANLY men- pirates, soldiers, natives, firefighters, cowboys, etc. with big muscles and torn shirts. While the women are petite, demure and look somewhat helpless. For some reason the contrast between the genders is still considered sexy.
Personally, I'm not attracted to guys in a tie and loafers with delicate skin. They may be smart, sweet and good with technology, but my man has to wear larger pants than I do and be able to hold his own on the field. I'm also not attracted to the insensitive "dumb jock" type of guy or the beefy, beerhead wannabe quarterback stereotype.
The 'Mannaisance' is attempting to break a lot of myths about men. For example, men CAN be strong, spiritual AND sensitive. Guys don't need to go around wearing their hearts on their sleeves, and they don't have to know how to exfoliate, but they should be able to open up and communicate their feelings with the ones they love. Men with dignity know who they are and can look good in a tuxedo or a flannel shirt & jeans. They aren't afraid to sweat, but they respect themselves and others. A lot of guys let themselves go- weight gain, foot rot, gross teeth, BO and dandruff are all indicators that...... ah-hem... a little more attention is needed. Real men know that taking care of themselves, sounding intelligent and dressing well doesn't make them gay.
I want my son to have a strong sense of who he is. I want him to walk tall, look sharp, smell good and use manners with the ladies, but I also want him to be able to fix a tire, wield a chainsaw, go camping/fishing and hold his own in a fight.

WELCOME BACK, MEN- WE'VE MISSED YOU!!!!!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Good post, Trailady. I do make a point of opening doors for women, or waiting for them to enter/exit an elevator or doorway. It's polite, it's sincere, it's a sign of respect.

Hope you are doing well!