Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Anyway...

One Fall, I visited an old country chapel in the middle of Cade's Cove, TN. This historic place was always spiritual ground for me. The people who lived there and built little farms in the clay had buried more than one small child beneath the soil behind the chapel. Women died in childbirth and the fever took many lives. They planted fields, fertilized with their own blood, sweat and tears.... only to have storms wipe out the entire crop. They knew the pain of hunger, the discomfort of tattered shoes, yet, somehow these people kept trying to make the best of their lives. I'm sure they struggled, but they didn't give up.

The chapel doors were wide open, it was a beautiful afternoon. I walked inside and took a seat in an old rickety pew near the front of the little sanctuary, where for hundreds of years, believers had met to worship God. It was not long until I noticed a fluttering of two Sparrows who had somehow flown into the chapel, but did not know how to get back out. They flew against the windows, against the ceiling, desperate to break free of their prison and reach the open sky. I can only assume they were a mated pair as one was male and the other female. They would ram their little featherweight bodies against immoveable obstacles repeatedly- I was sure they were killing themselves for the effort. After several failed attempts to gently capture them and set them free, I took my place on the pew again- helpless to assist them. However, as the sun began to set, light poured in through the open doors. It was only then that the birds knew what to do. They followed the light and emerged victoriously into the freshness of evening air.


My life has been quite challenging on several levels. I've never felt so alone or helpless. Due to our circumstances, my man is distant and has slipped into a dark place where I cannot reach him. He has tried for weeks to find work- no luck. Unemployed, he feels useless and wasted. I don't know how to bring him back into my world and honestly, it hurts to try. I cannot need him at this time, because he has little to give.
Sometimes, I feel like a tiny sparrow beating against a ceiling that will never let me get any higher or go any further. I'm not getting any younger, but I'm not giving up. I'm looking devastation in the eye and staring it down. I still have a fool's hope that things are going to get better.

Perhaps the truest measure of who we are is not how high or far we go in life, but how consistently we try to get there and how kind we are in the process. Some of us will try, succeed and be celebrated, but many will try and never realize the dreams that existed in us since our first remembrances. Some of the old ones sit pretty on fat retirements while others who worked just as hard lay in nursing homes with bitterness and disappointment, having lost what they loved most and wallowing in regret. We cannot know why this is, only God sees the reason. But, we have to try. When I heard the song 'Anyway' by Martina Mcbride I cried over it because it's exactly where I am and how I feel.


I don't know what great dreams, what passions beat within your chest. Failure to accomplish set goals is not always a reflection on the individual. We are all limited by factors such as funding, distance, time, circumstances, and the fact that life is short. If you're like me, you've lain awake many a night contemplating things and forging ideas of how to achieve your goals. We all have obstacles to overcome- this is not entirely bad. I believe challenge makes us stronger. Wish I could say with all certainty that you will see your dreams come to life. What I can say is don't give up hope and don't ever go down easy.

I still hope that somehow the light will shine for me...

6 comments:

Kat said...

I'm sorry to hear that your man is without a job. I thought that you all moved because he had a job waiting for him. I will pray for you and your family.

My wedding to B went very well with no major mishaps. I'll send links to pictures when I get them.

Love you and miss you much!

Grant said...

Yo! Looked you up b/c I was thinking about you guys. There is light - God doesn't let us go too far, just far enough to destroy any vision of ourselves as our deliver. Our experience over the past 2 years is proof...He is in control and He will reveal His purpose in all of this in His blessed time...and yes, I know, it seems like He's taking plenty of it!!

G,J,N,O,G

Lily said...

Hey lady, thinking of you. I was hoping all was going well.

I gifted you with a Thinking Blogger Award today. I know it doesn't mean much but it's a pat on the back for your great and thoughtful writing. This post is just one example of that.

Take care! Wish I was closer so I could hug ya.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

There is life after death. Let death have it's full effect so that there can be a resurrection. Does that make any sense? I heard a preacher say that.

Don said...

God's grace enables us to ‘face the music' even when we don't like the tune.

Trailady said...

Hi Katrina! Good to hear from you. I'm thrilled that things went well. The job was supposed to start this month or May, but the man who was supposed to be leaving the position decided last minute that he wanted to stay and put up a real fuss- so it's a no-go. I miss you too!!!!

Welcome Grant! Thanks for looking me up. :o)

Lily, wow- I appreciate that...

Gabrielle, Yes, you are correct and I love the way you stated it.

Don, So true... so true...