Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sunrise...

Today I rose at 4:00am to go open the YMCA. My Co-worker Don, a retired postal worker, urged me to stand outside and watch the sun rise over Lake Superior. So I did. It was a very spiritual moment for me and I learned a valuable lesson from it- which I will post on my 'Signs & Wonders' blog.

The last time I witnessed this event I was with my Best friend/First love, Paul. We were on a group campout and challenged each other to see who could stay up longest. We sat there under a blanket beside the fire ALL night watching the stars, dreaming, scheming and talking about life. (It was quite innocent) He was a kindred spirit- shy, but always interesting to talk to- we never seemed to have a shortage of things to say. It was so easy to laugh back in those days. Both of us were determined to outlast the other and before we knew it, the sun was rising, so we decided to enjoy the occasion and call it a tie. What a beautiful experience, a memory I will cherish until my dying day. As I stood there this morning, captive to the magic of Dawn and remembrances of puppy love, I wondered if he ever thinks of me and all the good times we had for 10 years? I may never cross his mind, but I whispered a prayer for him and his family. There has not been a day when I haven't remembered him. I hope that he has found true love and reasonable success...

I made my way out of bed and drove to work in darkness. Later as I stood watching the sky, a thin blue, red & pink band began to grow across the horizon. I heard the birds begin to sing in the Pines. Things continued to get brighter, then the sun itself began to peek out above the water line and for a few short moments, the lake literally looked as if it had a silver lining- beautiful! The distant memory of my very first sunrise warmed me. I felt a sense of calm and took this as a sign that the darker part of my life will soon be over. All good and valuable things take time- including the birth of a new day. Learning to breathe and to accept life for what it is with an attitude of thankfulness has always been a challenge for me. I'm a fixer, a planner, a go-getter. Every so often, God has to put me in a place where I have NO control- otherwise I'd be totally self-dependant.

I am determined that no matter how things turn out job-wise, in my relationship or in my future, I will never stop being thankful for the little things that still delight and amaze me.

Sunrises are one of those things...

6 comments:

Sam!! said...

Hi,

Such a romantic, poetic post, thnx for sharing such sweet memories of urs.

May God always keep ur all days brighter with such sunrises n each day sunrise brings u loads of happiness n success.

Takecare

Trailady said...

Thank you, Samrina. I'm so glad you are able to post again and I look forward to reading many more of your thoughts. Blessings be upon you...

Lily said...

This is a nice post, I always enjoy your imagery and descriptions of the beauty you see. Thanks.

Hey RE cheap airfare - if you or MoM ever journey near Portland, be sure to let me know.

sage said...

nice description of Sunrise and Superior is my favorite of the Great Lakes.

The year I graduated from college, I was the night supervisor at a wholesale bakery (I've blogged abou this last year). I use to go out onto the receving dock every morning with coffee and watch the sunrise (it was my one perk for being the boss).

I'm thinking of questions!

sage said...

Trailady, I've posted your interview questions.

Roseuvsharon said...

God used unique ways to cause me to be not so self dependent as well.

When I quit fighting it, I realize He did it because He loves me and wants the best for me.

Sometimes I say, okay I've learned my lesson, can you give me my freedom back?

We're inching there, slowly, but God still wants me to trust in others and in Him, the thorn is not completely removed.