Tuesday, April 24, 2007

San Francisco

I was in Cali over the weekend, possibly my last performance with 'Message of Mercy'- at least for a while. Our concerts went well. We took a day to tour the city and I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. What fun!! I'd only ever heard from several people in the past that San Fran was a "filthy, sinful place of iniquity"- one which God has cursed.

Instead, I found that it is a very clean, friendly and beautiful place on the harbor. It's a wonderfully unique city with winding streets and trolley cars- VERY hilly there!! We girls enjoyed riding the trolley and walking up & down along the streets admiring the beautiful architecture and artistry of the buildings there. The air was fresh and clean and the scenary lovely! At one point, we were delighted to see a whole herd of Sea Lions sunning themselves on piers in the bay. Did you know that you can smell them, even from a good distance away because of their fishy diet? They are very social creatures and bark a lot. We had lunch in China Town- good food! I purchased a pair of silk slippers for $3. We were able to get a lot of good pictures. I will attempt to post some soon...

Contrary to popular belief by those who may have never been there, we didn't see gay men or women hanging all over each other everywhere. I felt very comfortable there. I did see one cross-dresser and there were many guys walking together, but not even so much as holding hands or a kiss. Now, maybe if I stayed there longer, I may have seen more public displays of affection (PDA's), but the way people had talked, I pictured gay couples being all over each other in public and trash laying in the streets. Not so!

Hmmmm, I've learned to be wary of anyone who talks as if they are an "expert" on a place they have never encountered. Likewise, beware of religious "experts" who may not have truly experienced God. Both can be incredibly misleading. ;o)

2 comments:

Don said...

Good for you, drawing your own conclusions, instead of letting others do it for you. My conservative, evangelical, son has been there several times on business and vacation and loves the city. Go figure. I passed thru one time. Didn't have time to sightsee. I think what happened to you is a lesson to all of us. Do your own research. Don't necessarily believe everything you hear....

Andy said...

Precisely. Being one who works in one of the office towers in downtown San Francisco, I can tell you that the majority of the misconceptions about this city are incorrect...I was born and raised here!

Glad you were in my city this past weekend, TL - just too bad I didn't know about your visit here sooner, else I would have checked out the performance.

San Francisco has its issues, but it did also host 25,000 screaming Christian teens a month ago for a Battle Cry/Acquire the Fire youth ministry event at our ballpark.

For all its problems, it is the good soil that Jesus speaks of, because when the Truth is spoken, people will listen.