Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Plans of Mice and Men...

My man and I were up late several nights this week making an honest assessment of our situation and heavily discussing options- some of which are pretty bleak. The job we came all this way hoping he could start in April or May has not yet materialized. We are running out of time.... and strength. It dawned on us this week that perhaps time apart is what both of us need.

We got married quite young and due to the nature of his up-bringing/education, he feels he was unable to take time to figure out who he really is. Bottom line? He does not love himself, but how can you if you don't know who you are or what you want?? Jay still doesn't know these answers, or how to get there. He's slow to process things and has always been somewhat disconnected from, or unable to express his feelings. His mantra over the years has been, "I'm overwhelmed". He may need some time to himself to figure things out. We've been apart before- early on- and when we got back together things were much better for both of us. Now I may be Summering elsewhere with the kids while he puts the pieces of his puzzle together. NOT an easy thing to do and we've laid out a "fleece" before God about this. Sometimes love means letting go for a while. I care about this man and want what's best for him. It hurts to realize that I may not be what he needs. Reflecting on the past 14 yrs together and the many challenges we have faced, I cannot see what good- if any I have been for him. Yes, I've been a constant, caring presence in his life, but I've also been a drain on his shortage of time, energy and resources. My body presented him with mouths to feed before he felt ready to provide.

Oh, the plans of mice and men....

The question we are both asking at this time? Is it possible to thoughtfully and prayerfully make a life decision and still make a mistake? Does God always honor earnest effort or does He allow us to reach dead-ends for a reason?? The next step for us is homelessness... now what??
Being an optimist doesn't come without it's own set of challenges. I'm a dreamer- a risk taker, but looking back over the track record of my life, I'm not exactly sure that has been a plus. I love the song 'Anyway' by Martina McBride. AWESOME!! She sang it live on American Idol last night. :o)

I was raised to believe that if you love God, if you place every plan before Him and consult Heaven before making your moves, then your footsteps will always be sure, that God will bless and prosper you. I do feel blessed & prospered. My spirit grows while I feel the world around me is collapsing. It is the strangest of feelings. I am grateful for God's interest in my spiritual journey, but I'd like to see His hand in other areas of my life. What about my relationship, financial picture and future. What about the futures of our children??

For now, my goal must be to continue putting one foot in front of the other, finding the courage to smile and sing. My faith and resolve are being severely tested...

11 comments:

Lily said...

I don't know the plans God has for you - but in answer to your question - I believe God always blesses us in the end if we are earnestly seeking Him.

However sometimes He has places to take us before He answers our prayers. Know that wherever He may take us, He will always walk beside us.

I'm so sorry things are so tough for you right now. I've been in a very similar place and I know it's not easy.

I will pray that our Father above will show you the way.

Don said...

I will remember you and your family in these tough times. My heart aches with yours. You might find some the quotes on my latest post comforting. I hope so.

sage said...

Tough times--a piece of advice from Ignatius of Loyola's Spiritual Exercises, never make a major decision when spiritually high or spiritually low...

May the best work out for you, there are dark nights even for believers, but joy comes with the dawn

Andy said...

TL, I pray that you claim and stand up for your marriage and relationship before God, because I know He will restore it, warts and all! Remember that even as you walk through this valley, He is refining you and making you stronger.

Sam!! said...

Hi sis,

My prayers r always there with u n above all ur God is always there to hold ur hand sis. May God bring loads n loads of happiness in ur life n i know ur happiness is associated with ur relationships so i pray that may God always keep u suround with ur love ones.

Besides i do wanna state that ur posts always make me think n bring me answers of many of my questions too.

Takecare n stay healthy.

Dustin said...

TL,

I have really gone through a time of discernment and searching regarding the whole issue of our plans versus God's plans, and the whole "God's will" debate. What I have come to realize is that too often we assume that God is walking in front of us, leaving an exact path for us to follow when in reality God is walking alongside us, there to comfort and heal as we walk the road of life. There may not be an exact path to follow, but know what God is right beside you wherever you journey.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Wow, trailady - tough times!

Kat said...

TL,
I am sorry things have not panned out as you had hoped. I would offer (selfishly) that you and the kids come back to TN for the summer. I'd love to have you nearby again.

I will pray for you. If you need me, call.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I've thought more about what to say, and here it is...I'm lost as to what is going on with you. You lost me back there. You have taken off and left everyone. Now you have who? Who besides your husband where you are now, but you also want to separate from him? I'm lost on this. This sounds crazy. You have no community, no church family, no family that I can tell - right, I mean, where you are now? What is going on?

Trailady said...

Hi Lily, I definitely believe that this is going to work some good in my life. Not sure what.

Hi Don, thanks- I will check it out.

Sage- excellent wisdom, indeed and worth considering! :o)

Hi Andy! I'm doing the best I can to figure things out and make it work for the sake of my kids.

Samrina, I'm so glad to hear from you again. You are such a tender soul!!

Gabrielle, In a nutshell, I've been a little sporadic in writing because that's how my life has been. When my man lost his job, I went back to work full time and he found two small jobs to do to make up for it. We still went bankrupt, lost our house and had nowhere to go, so some close friends of ours with a big house invited us to move to MI where my husband is going back to school for Radiology. There are many churches up here and I have enjoyed visiting them. :o) God is everywhere we are and that counts for an awful lot.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the capsulized version. Sorry if I haven't followed along well enough. It sounds so difficult. I'm glad so many prayers, as shown here, are with you.