Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Death of All Privacy?

Recently read an article about new scanning machines that may be in all airports soon. They are called 'Backscatters'. These electronic eyes can see through your clothes and transmit your naked image to security personnel. This is to ensure better safety on the airlines.

Don't know 'bout you, but I'm a bit disturbed about this new invasion of privacy. The article states that the scan "isn't very detailed", but will show any weapons or contraband that may be strapped to one's body.

I'm not a prude, nor am I a paranoid, government conspiracy ranter, but is this really necessary? Advocates for the Backscatter machines say that this eliminates the need for a 'pat down' and will make security checkpoints move faster. Uhm, I think I'd rather have a pat-down by a female security guard then offer full disclosure of my naked image for some stranger to gawk at. Safety is important, but at what cost? If we say "yes" to this, what's next??

According to the article, these machines are already in use at Washington DC, Dallas/Fort Worth and several other US airports. What do you think about this?

5 comments:

Don said...

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety.

Ben Franklin-

bruced said...

Where can I get one of those things?

;-)

Fallen Angel said...

I don't really have a problem with someone seeing me naked if it is going to protect me and everyone else from some idiot. To me its a small price. I don't mind pat downs, to me its no big deal. Safety is a higher priority to me than privacy. I know alot of people probably will disagree with me, but that is how I feel. I'm not easily offended though, like some. I hate what our government is doing right now in Iraq, but I hate even more the idea of some radical crazy in another country threatening or hurting me and my children. Those new machines could possibly have prevented 9/11, but not having an idiot in the White House could prevent alot of things too. Thats how I feel.

Hope you are getting settled in and things are getting better.

Fallen Angel said...

bruced - you made me smile.

Trailady said...

Hi Don, I've heard that quote before. :o)

Hi Brian, Yep, that's what I've heard.

Bruce, You are too funny!!!! :o)

Hi Angel, Thanks for stopping by and sharing your perspectives. I've had 4 kids, so I'm no prude. To me it just seems that privacy today is something of the past. Clear backpacks, random checks of bags, surveillance cameras on street corners, etc. Kind of reminds me of the film 'Gattaca'(sp?) where everything is so watched & controlled. I'm no Bush fanatic. His time is nearly over, if we get the wrong guy in the White House, things could get even more controlled. How far do we go for safety? At what point are they overdoing it and stepping with heavy boots on our rights? In any case, I fly frequently and the 'Backscatters' make me want to get in better shape!!! ;o) LOL