Saturday, March 24, 2007

Over It!

I am SO done with religious debates! I love to write and enjoy doing articles that are relevant to Christians' today, however, I refuse to get sucked into an argument. Sometimes people bait me with strongly-stated e-mails. For one, I used to be a debator. Loved it! I thought I was very sharp with words & reason and could out-maneuver people pretty well. The result though is a peculiar brand of arrogance about it- one which I no longer wish to possess. Heard two men debating an entire flight recently. After the first 30 minutes or so, no new information was exchanged, it simply became one man trying to convince the other by sheer will power and a determination to have the last word.

Three things I've learned about debating: 1) You are not likely to change the other side's mind about the issue at hand. 2) You are feeding ego- yours and theirs. 3) It's a waste of time, energy and vocabulary skills.

Life should be lived intelligently. Standing up for what's right by the way you live your life, not by how well you can wrestle with words for the cause you endorse.

People debate politics, as well as environmental and social issues. Been there, done that. Religious debates are the worst and there's no better way to make an enemy than to argue the spiritual realm with an equally bold opponent! I've seen even the ones with the meekest of holy acts pull out all the stops in the church parking lot and get mean. (Seriously- reminds me of two cats fighting over territory- hissing, spitting and clawing to assert themselves.) What's the dealio?? Christianity should be marked by a humility and grace that allows others to have their own opinions. Debating religionists and proof-texting, in a sense, says, "I'm the only one intelligent enough to figure this out and now I will enlighten you so effectively that you will have NO choice but to embrace my beliefs."

My advice? Enjoy your journey toward God. Be who you are and don't let anyone rob you of your experience. I don't bully or lecture others, and I won't allow strong-willed people to abuse my freedom either.

7 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Remember Paul saying something to the effect of the kingdom of God is not in word but in power? He agreed with you. I have learned that too to a large degree. You are right. We aren't going to change someone's mind. God is the one who does the changing. The kingdom is in a mysterious realm beyond our words and our ability to win an argument. It is in the realm of love but that is a power we possess and some have more of that power than others, bought with a terrible price. You are on a wonderful journey, traillady!

Andy said...

Good stuff, TL. And an excellent reminder, because this is a trap in which we all can fall into all too easily.

Trailady said...

Hi Gabrielle, Yes, although our words can be powerful, I don't think we should lord our beliefs over others or wrestle with words. Good thoughts!!

Hi Andy, Converts to our ideas are not won by pinning them down verbally until they cry "uncle"!. ;o)

Dustin said...

"Life should be lived intelligently. Standing up for what's right by the way you live your life, not by how well you can wrestle with words for the cause you endorse."

This is an excellent point. I too have come to realize that debating with those who already have their minds made up is a waste of time and the breathe God gave me. I recently wrote a post about this very thing, except in regards to the scriptures. Here's the link:

http://imaginationsinunity.blogspot.com/
2007/03/bible-says-so.html

Thought you might want to check it out in reference to your current post.

Hope all is well, TL.

Roseuvsharon said...

a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Forgive me but I can't remember who originated that phrase, but it fits.

I strongly dislike confrontation, so I agree about not getting into theological debates. I like a good discussion, but when it becomes confrontational, I have to leave, because it is more than I can bear.

bruced said...

If you argue with an idiot, it won't be long before onlookers can't tell which one is the idiot.

Trailady said...

Hello Dustin, I will definitely check out your post. :o)

Rose, Yes, thank you for making a distinction between "discussing" and "confrontational disputing". I just can't see Jesus standing there sweating it out to prove His point with people. He did give the 7 Woes, but it was pretty-much a monologue and I don't think He enjoyed saying those things.

Bruce, GREAT statement, brother! Thanks!! :o)