Monday, March 05, 2007

The Joy of Sledding!

Yesterday, I enjoyed seeing my children go sledding for the first time. So much FUN! My husband even got in on the action- it was WONDERFUL to hear him laugh. The air was fresh & clean. We all got a good amount of exercise running up the hill and sliding down the icy shoot. It did my body & soul a world of good!
Free family recreation is harder to find these days! Thanks to a fun-loving elderly man with a sparkle in his eye, families up here can get out on clear days and sled to their hearts' content. Out of the goodness of his heart, he plows his driveway, clears a make-shift parking lot, then gets out sled discs, some shovels and a hose with which he creates the BEST sled hill ever. It looks like a Luge tunnel like they have in the Olympics and is quite long & winding. The man also constructed a lean-to shelter, under which you can enjoy hot chocolate & marshmellows. After several runs down the hill you get a little wet and can warm up by the bonfire. Everything is donated from a generous heart. Every so often, the sole proprietor brings out a trumpet and plays a silvery tune over the hill for all present to enjoy. When the sun goes down, one finds themselves surrounded by Christmas lights strung from tree to tree. It is pure magic...
I lost count of how many trips I made down the long slope. On my last run, I went into a spin and whacked my elbow pretty hard- it's all black-n-blue today. I spent the rest of my time chatting with Yoopers around the bonfire. During a quiet moment, as I watched my kids & their Dad go down the hill, having the time of their lives, I thought, "Now THIS is the best kind of evangelism!". The old man who has faithfully created this sledding paradise for 27 yrs was simply doing something nice for his community- out of the goodness of his heart. Little did he know that a worn and shattered family experienced a bit of healing yesterday because of him. (It was such effective medicine, I plan to take the kids again next weekend.) Nobody would ask why an elderly man like Mr. Steven Crook does what he does, as it's obvious by the way he bounds around the place that he simply enjoys watching people have fun. Now, because of his kindness, I'm very curious about him. Selfless people fascinate me. Perhaps next weekend we can get to know him a little better? Perhaps I will take him a 'thank you' gift.

Love reaches for the sake of reaching. The truest kindness seeks no reward- other than the joy of being good to someone. I am so touched that someone would do such a wonderful thing until he is too old to go on. I thanked him several times over. :o)

5 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

He sounds really cool!

Trailady said...

Hi Gabrielle, How are you doing these days?

Hi Brian, thanks for stopping by. Hope all is well for you!! :o)

sage said...

welcome to Michigan, even if you are somewhere over the bridge

Unknown said...

You went sledding and i cleaned my swimming pool yesterday! Ha... such is winter in Florida

Kel said...

I love anything to do with snow, sledding, making snow angels, having a picnic in the snow

never lived in it, only holidayed in it, perhaps therein lies the appeal

your new home sounds cool - of course, there's snow!!!