Saturday, December 02, 2006

Native Inspiration...

I am the very satisfied owner of a book called, 'Native American Wisdom', edited by Kent Nerburn & Louise Mengelkoch. EXCELLENT! Below are some of the quotes that I thought were simply profound:

On the ways of words:
"I believe much trouble and blood would be saved if we opened our hearts more. I will tell you in my way how the Indian sees things. The white man has more words to tell you how things look to him, but it does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce

On integrity:
"My people are poor, because we are honest." - Red Dog of the Oglala Sioux

On Relationship:
"Friendship is the severest test of character. We think it easy to be loyal to family and clan, whose blood is in our own veins. Love between a man and woman is founded on the mating instinct and is not free from desire and self-seeking. But to have a friend, and be true under any and all trials, is the mark of a man! - Ohiyesa of the Santee Sioux

On Religion:
"My people do not want churches because they will teach us to quarrel about God as the Protestants and Catholics do. We desire peace. We may quarrel with men sometimes about things on this earth, but we never fight about God. We do not want to learn of this."
- Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce

"Grandfather, Great Spirit, one day more behold me on earth and lean to hear my feeble voice. You lived first, and You are older than all things, stronger than all need, older than all prayer. All things belong to You-- the two-legged, the four-legged, the wings of the air, and all green things that live. You have set the powers of the four winds of the earth to cross each other. You have made me walk the good road and the road of hardship. The place where these two cross is holy. Day in, day out, and always, You are the life of all things." - Black Elk of the Oglala Sioux

"No tribe has the right to sell the land, even to each other, much less to strangers. Sell a country! Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth? Didn't the Great Spirit make them all for the use of His children?" - Tecumseh of the Shawnee

The Ways of Dying:
"Death will come, always out of season." Big Elk, Omaha Chief

"Each soul must meet the morning sun, the new, sweet earth and the Great Silence alone!"
- Ohiyesa of the Santee Sioux

"I know that skin robes, leggings, moccasins, bear claws, and so on are of little value to you, but we wish you to have them and preserve them in some part of your lodge, (museum) so that when we are gone and the sod is turned over our bones, if our children should visit this place, as we do now, they may see and recognize with pleasure the things of their fathers, and reflect on the times that are now passing." Sharitarish of the Pawnee

"If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man, He would have made me so in the first place. He put in the heart of the whites certain wishes and plans; in my heart He put other and different desires. Each man is good in the sight of the Great Spirit. It is not necessary for eagles to become crows, yet both are good. Now, to you my people are poor, but we are free. No white-man controls our footsteps. If we must die, we die defending our rights." - Sitting Bull of the Teton Sioux

Some of these words really hit home for me. I was smiling and nodding my head in agreement to many and tearing-up over others. As I read this touching and wonderful book I could almost feel the rush of clean, fresh air on my face. Can you hear the sound of Elk calling in the distance? When I close my eyes, I am standing on the open plain, my arms open to the sky. Like the Indian, I want the freedom to live, to enjoy my family. Material things are nice, but also tie us down. The Natives of this land were very simple people, but they were not ignorant, heathen savages. I am deeply touched by the reverence of the Native American for all things living and the depth of feeling they had toward their lands and their families. There is wisdom to be learned from every culture. I'm glad someone recorded the words of these great men. :o)

5 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I just figured out that i visit your blog so often because I havent found (yet) many or any bloggers who have so much variety but also, make things relevant to others. You strive to bring others into intersting things in your life, not just dwelling on you. When you talk about yourself you try to make that relevant too.

Trailady said...

Hi Gabrielle! Thank you for the feedback.

My life is definitely interesting. I'm in a valley right now, but I know it's GOT to get better soon... I believe honesty means dropping the masks sharing your weakness as well as strengths. It is my hope that in being open about some of my challenges, other people who struggle will see they are not alone.

Anonymous said...

"Death will come, always out of season." Big Elk, Omaha Chief

Wisdom for sure!

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

always loved that quote from Big Elk - travel well in the valley, tred carefully, you are not alone

Roseuvsharon said...

When I first moved to north central Arkansas, and hiked the trails along the Buffalo National River, I had the distinct feeling that I was walking over the very ground many of my ancestors had, including those who suffered on the trail of tears.

My heritage has been stolen from me, in a couple of ways. Some day, I hope to have more solid proof of my heritage. In the meantime, my love for nature and simplicity in life remind me of my roots.