Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Silence is a Treasure!

As a Full-Time worker & busy Mom of 4, it seems my life is quite noisy! Cell phones ring, doors slam, car alarms go off, loud music plays, TV's blare, dogs bark, children cry- everywhere there's a constant stream of chatter. It's rare these days to stand in line at the store without hearing someone talk on the phone. Can't even do the bathroom thing in peace without being captive audience to the whole story of Torrie's big break-up because, like, the gal in the stall beside you is, like, spilling drama on her phone. First of all, I don't get it! How on earth does she manage to keep from dropping her cell in the jon? (There are times I wish it would happen- especially when my girls are with me- just to have a little quiet for 5 mins and avoid the over-education of my daughters young minds.) Cell phone usage, though a necessary evil, is often the bearer of T.M.I. (Too Much Information) I'm regularly forced to overhear someone describe details of their colonoscopy, ingrown toenail procedure, etc. over the phone in the lobby of the YMCA. Do we regard our privacy so lightly these days? Try to have a rare, intimate evening out with your man, while the chick next table over is yakking on her phone- relaying everything the other party says to her date. We all but stood up and cheered when they left! I'm not the only one who's life is full of noise pollution. I feel like a misfit in today's crowded, fast-paced society. Perhaps Trailady was born in the wrong century?
So, I read once more in my 'Native American Wisdom' book and find a chapter about Words & Silence. As a speaker, poet and writer, I love words- they are a gift. However, I believe there's such a thing as too many, or overuse of words. As an editor I learned that often we use too many words to make even a simple point. Language is a gift to be used wisely. So here goes, from the heart of our Natives:

"The first American mingled with his dignity a singular humility. Spiritual arrogance was foreign to his nature and teaching. He never claimed that his power of articulate speech was proof of superiority over "dumb creation"; on the other hand, speech is to him a perilious gift.
He believes profoundly in silence- the sign of a perfect equalibrium. Silence is the absolute poise or balance of body, mind and spirit. The man who preserves his selfhood ever calm and unshaken by the storms of existence-- not a leaf, as it were, astir on the tree, not a ripple upon the surface of shining pool-- his silence, in the mind of the unlettered sage, is the ideal attitude and conduct of life... To maintain silence is the cornerstone of good character." - Ohiyesa of the Santee Sioux

"Silence was meaningful to the Lakota, and his granting a space of silence before talking was done in the practice of true politeness and regardful of the rule that "thought comes before speech."
And in the midst of sorrow, sickness, death or misfortune of any kind, and in the presence of notable and great, silence was the mark of respect. More powerful than words was silence with the Lakota. His strict observance of this tenet of good behavior was the reason, no doubt, for his being given the false characterization by the white man of being stoic. He has been judged to be dumb, stupid, indifferent, and unfeeling.
As a matter of truth, he was the most sympathetic of men, but his emotions of depth and sincerity were mixed with self-control Silence means to the Lakota what it meant to Disraeli when he said, "Silence is the mother of truth." for the silent man was ever to be trusted, while the man ever ready with speech was never taken seriously." - Chief Luther Standing Bear of the Teton Sioux

I love to sit in silence, listening for the whisper of wind in the trees or the soft sound of falling snowflakes. There have been nights on my back deck where I sit in contemplation and hear the flapping of bat wings as they eat bugs around the barn light. I will greatly miss this while we live in the city. God, I sure hope this is REALLY temporary. My spirit wilts when I'm fenced in... I pray my journey will someday lead to the wilds of Montana.

9 comments:

Trailady said...

Yes, Brian, you hit the nail on the head with this comment.

Cell-phone signal jammers- really? That's great and I hope it helps keep the restaurants a little more quiet. It will tick a few people off, but the rest of us can enjoy our dinner in peace! LOL

sage said...

Having lived in the desert, I miss the type of silence you can get when you're out by yourself, an arid wind blowing so that you heard dead yucca pods rattle faintly, it's lovely... we love the desert, so we build places like Vegas in the desert, but in contrast to the desert (loud, bright, and water)... I often long for silence... Have you read Abraham Heschel's SABBATH?

Don said...

"Be still and know that I am God" I believe we all need silence. A time to sit quietly and reflect or to meditate. I think that is one thing that western culture could learn from others. Meditation is a valuable tool in keeping us sane...

Micah Hoover said...

So often words are merely tools of restless distraction.

There is silence everywhere if you know how to listen for it.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

A thing that's happened to me is a lady standing next to me and talking on her cell about how great her life is, emphasizing the words, "my husband" (perhaps noticing I'm not wearing a wedding ring,) and announcing that her Ferrari is back from the shop and next week she is headed for Catalina!!! Ha ha, so funny.

Happy holidays to you and yours, by the way. I like "happy holidays" because I like the word happy and because I think it is nice to acknowledge that someone may be celebrating Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or maybe Christmas doesn't mean much to them right now.

Don said...

Trailady-
FYI,
I have put a page on my website/blog dealing with the "Restoration of all things". It's in the left column.

QUASAR9 said...

Hi Trailady,
guess you've been too busy with preparing for the festive season to blog.
So Here's wishing you and your loved ones and those all around
A very Merry Xmas!

Old Pete said...

I'm retired and I live within 20 mins walk of a secluded nature reserve but less that 4 miles from the centre of a city with 250,000 people - what a contrast!

I'm new to blogging but I sense some interesting common ground - especially perhaps membership of WCG for nearly 30 years.

Life has been a bit of a roller coaster over the last few months

Don said...

Trailady-
Probably won't be blogging til after Christmas...so Merry Christmas to you and yours and may God give you peace & "silence"...