Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Miracle of Mistakes...

Don't know about you, but I've made my share of mistakes. You see, it all started when I was a baby attempting to walk- I miscalculated and fell a lot. My balance was challenged, but no more than that of any other baby. It would seem ridiculous for a parent to scold a baby for falling while attempting to walk. In fact, parents smile and make over a little one as he/she takes those important first steps. Proud Moms & Dads stand a short distance away, arms outstretched and invite the toddler to "Come to me".

I'm a reasonably coordinated, quick learner, but peddling a bike, riding a horse and learning how to skate were challenges. I went down a lot, but each time I bit the dust, I learned something. My brain was making calculations and recording results. Though I fell, I was learning and eventually, though I'll never be an Olympian, I could ride like a champ.

What would've happened if at any point, I was yelled at when I lost my balance? What if I was kicked out of the family unless I could promise never to make any mistakes? I would have been terrified to try anything and probably would have ended up a vegetable lying flat on my back and pretty much useless. Humans make mistakes- that's what we do. It's all part of a Divine learning program. Now, I'm not saying we should go out and deliberately do something we know is wrong and then excuse or explain it away. We need to use good judgement. However, even the most careful and sincere people mess up. Then what? Does God get angry and pull away? No, He forgives and encourages. Like a loving parent, He wipes the tears, brushes us off, sets us back on our feet and continues to invite "Come to Daddy, Sweetheart". I'm still learning how to walk- with Him. I've gotten tripped up and I've chased a few rabbit trails, but the miracle of it all is that these mistakes have taught me more about who I am and more importantly, Who God Is. I see my need for something bigger than myself.

When people scold, lecture and condemn people- especially the youth- for their behavior and think for them, they are telling them it's a sin to exercise our intelligence or make any miscalculations in the formula of life. This puts a ton of pressure on an already insecure person not to "mess up". Perfectionism is a cruel master. Christians tend to focus on avoiding certain behaviors and come down pretty hard on each other. Is this love or control? Maturity or manipulation? Wisdom or folly?
What if we allow each other room to question, to seek, to try on new thoughts and ideas? Is it possible that in our great caution against making mistakes, many who could run- even dance in the presence of the Lord are only allowed to walk with a cautious shuffle? If so, how then will we ever learn to fly??

4 comments:

Dustin said...

I agree wholeheartedly, especially regarding teens. Too often youth ministers and churches are guilty of telling kids all the things they CAN'T do without giving them something amazing, grand, dynamic and sacrificial to do instead.

BrotherKen said...

I love the imagery here! And I think we must always remember how long it takes to learn these lessons. No matter how much life experience we have before seeking out God's way, we are likely to have to start all over. Step by step. Love it!

bruced said...

I'm loving watching you grow into this new person. I know it's not by your choice, but by what you're being drawn into. And that makes it even more amazing.

Love ya!

QUASAR9 said...

"It would seem ridiculous for a parent to scold a baby for falling while attempting to walk. In fact, parents smile and make over a little one as he/she takes those important first steps. Proud Moms & Dads stand a short distance away, arms outstretched and invite the toddler to "Come to me"."

Hi Trailady,
Wisdom of Age oozes from this post
Have a bright Sun Day!