Monday, January 08, 2007

Beautiful Comes from the Heart...

My mother loved me, but was very critical at times. She was often picking out my worst features or my weight, or telling me how ugly my hair looked. (I was pale with reddish hair.) We didn't have much money, I was short and the "ugly duckling" during most of my schooling. I pretty-much believed whatever nastiness other people said about me- messages that play repeatedly in my head.
Then I married. He's not perfect, but he does think I'm beautiful and has never ceased to tell me so. His pet names for me are 'Shining Eyes' and 'Pretty Mama'.. At first when he would call me these things I'd just roll my eyes and think "how corny". But I think he is getting through to me? I still have days when I feel like a toad, but most of the time I'm feeling better about myself. I guess this is part of growing up? It is a mystery to me how recently, during the hardest time of my life, people tell me I look radiant. They ask me what skin care regimen I'm doing. Well, I'm not doing anything special, I just feel different inside. All the stress of our current situation weighs heavily on me- it's overwhelming, but inside I have this sense of peace- this vibrant warmth no words can describe. My heart is growing. I believe God loves me, He accepts me as His daughter and thinks I'm beautiful. It really helps to know this when everything you've tried to build comes crashing down around your feet. I want so much more for my children! We need to laugh, play and delight in being a family. I look at this recent photo and see that my countenance has changed. I look older, but a bit wiser too.
This morning, we slept in a little. Hubby and I spent 2 hrs talking and venting our frustrations. I cried a bit. We are both worn out. Gut level honesty and communication are important features of any relationship and we did not hold back. We talked about the reasons we got married, the challenges we are facing and how much we've both changed over the last 14 yrs. (I was still a teenager when we married) We have considered a trial separation, but that's not what either of us want. We want to hold this thing together, but how do you when circumstances dictate that you so rarely see each other? I need romance and intimacy- virtually impossible when you are both working so hard and barely scraping by. Quality time together is extremely important to me- not a high a priority for him, but he knows that in order for this marriage to survive now he is going to invest more time in the relationship.
Anyway, at the end of our long talk, he was leaning against the headboard looking up at the ceiling, I just laid my head quietly against his chest and he stroked my hair as if I were a little girl. It was comforting. I have been humbled by the gravity of living and the reality of my limitations. This is not all bad. Somehow it helps to know I'm not alone- though I do not celebrate the fact that my man suffers with me. I felt close to him today and this encouraged me. Whether we stay together or part ways in the future, I owe him a lot. I have gained so much from being in this relationship. Nothing learned is a waste of time. Despite his shortcomings and mine, he gave me 4 beautiful children and has helped me learn to love myself. That's a miracle for which I am grateful.

9 comments:

Lily said...

((TL)) I know what it means to not be able to believe people who think you are beautiful, but you are beautiful, you know!

Your story is familiar - we are in our 15th year of marriage and I was barely 20 when we married. I have hated myself most of my life, as long as I can remember.

We dealt with the very worst time in our marriage beginning about 2 years ago; and we too considered separation. But I prayed, more than anything else, that God would find a way to keep it all together. In the darkest, most incredibly difficult time, God worked miracles above and beyond what I imagined. That doesn't mean all our worldly problems went away, but our marriage was resurrected and has been on a great path of healing during the last two years.

I don't have any answers for you, and I can't promise what God will do - but I write all this to encourage you and to let you know you are not alone.

And I do believe there is an age we reach when we do begin to come to terms with our beauty - our beauty is no longer based on culture or even on what we've been told, but instead what we know to be true of ourselves.

I'll pray for you guys.

Blessings, Lily.

Trailady said...

Hi Lily and thank you for sharing a little of your experience & wisdom- much appreciated! Jay was very open with me yesterday and that was so encouraging. It's hard to have a relationship with someone who is often very closed and doesn't have the need for romance and friendship that I do. When our hearts connect it is very, very good, but when he is distant and focused on work, I get very bored. It's been lonely at times and more like were roomates than lovers, but I DO believe things can change. Yesterday he said he wants the same things I do and that he's determined to try harder to give me the affection I need. After all we've been through it would be a shame to end it now and I want to hold it together- especially for the kids. They need us to work things out.
I'm glad you got a miracle for your marriage and thanks for the prayers. :o)

SocietyVs said...

I have some of these same things in my own marriage and I have been married for like 2 years only - youch - could mean there is no hope for men after all?

My wife tells me a lot of the same things I just read in your blog - are we really that different 'guys and girls'? I think if a woman requires that much attention then men must also - but it seems the focus of that attention is on very different things - romance and comradarie (men just love a challenge).

I wouldn't put your focus on losing things and this financial strain being the end - I think you can rebound from this even - it will take forever - but it is possible. I often tell my wife I never care to own a home or really own anything - I grew up with nothing and I have already exceeded any expectation my community has put upon me - now I am exceeding what I thought I was when I was born - if I own, I own - I'll be grateful. Just don't let this be your focus and tell the 'old man' to slow-er down a bit and relax/enjoy life - worrying never made things better.

Don said...

You have a beautiful spirit and countenance.

"I pretty-much believed whatever nastiness other people said about me- messages that play repeatedly in my head."

Your (and everyone else's) compulsive thinking mind does this to you. Believe it or not, your best bet is to live in the present (the NOW)and try to stop your mind from bringing back those bad memories of the past. Don't worry about the future, for it is illusory.It is NOT real. The present is all we have. The past and future are mere illusions and not reality. I think you already live in the NOW for the most part(I sense it when I read your posts).But, our minds are constantly and desperately trying to get us to think past and future. That's where the mind is comfortable. It seeks solice from the past and a hope for a brighter tomorrow from the future. ALL we have is the present....
I pray for you and your family...

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I too pray you can keep it together.

Trailady said...

Hi Society, Yes, I think men and women have similar needs, but different personalities have different levels of need and different love languages. My man's top two love languages are Acts of Service and Touch. My top two are Words of affirmation and Quality Time. All people are capable of speaking all 5, however most people have 2 dominant. Learning to speak in a love language the other can feel is essential to healthy relationship. Still learning, but that's what I've got so far... ;o)

Don, Living in the present has always been a challenge for me- usually because for so much of my life the present was quite painful. I believe the more closely we walk with God, the more courage we have to face the present. :o)

Gabrielle, Thank you, I very much appreciate your prayers. :o)

Unknown said...

I know sometimes it is incredibly difficult to deal with the present. I pray that God gives you the strength to persevere. With God's spirit inside us we have the means to do all.

I wanted to tell you what a wonderful response you made to Nabeel. You could have "preached". You didn't. Your Christ-like love and caring shone through. I could not have done so well. God Bless you for that.

We are all human, but all have the spirit of God within. We all make mistakes, but have the means within us to move forward through the mistakes. You will do that. I have nothing but respect for you dear sister.

Dustin said...

TL, I pray that God continues to move in both your hearts and that this time of trial will pass and your marriage will be restored to what you both desire it to be.

God bless you both.

Nabeel said...

very beautiful picture .. this definitely should be framed !!