Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Out With The Old...

Good riddance to the nightmare that was 2006! I welcome the mystery of this New Year. We'll see what comes of it. Surely our string of misfortune will not last? Spent New Year's weekend in Texas with my friend Allie and her husband Jayce. Fun! We mostly just chilled out. Went shopping a little, ate out, had some Soy Latte's, watched some movies and just enjoyed each other's company. I picked up some sickness on the plane ride there, so I was a little out of it. I missed my kids and my man while in TX and never feel as lonely as I do when I'm in an airport all alone. Everyone is a stranger there and I feel very curious and disconnected. I mean it's a strange kind of lonely. I didn't enjoy that part of the trip at all. Made up for lost time with my man when I got home- that's always nice. There's just something about his arms around me that gives me courage to keep hope alive for a better year in 2007 and beyond... God help us hold this marriage together!

One of my daughters has a bad case of Chicken Pox. She looks awful, but I know she will be better soon. Poor kid has really been through the ringer this year! We all have. She named her scabs.

I wasn't really happy about the execution of Saddam Hussein- no strong sense of relief or victory. Felt it was more of a media ploy than anything else- maybe just to stir up retaliation so as to pinpoint more sources of resistance? I certainly don't think he was any good for the world. Still don't see where the connections were between Saddam and Osama Bin Laden or Iraq and 9/11. hmmmmm. The death of any human being does nothing to excite me. Sometimes war may be necessary, but any loss of life is a tragedy to me. I believe there is good and bad in every one of us. We should never be so one-sided in our views that we cannot see the value of life in those who oppose us. We are all capable of great deeds of mercy, but also of evil. I hope that my presence in this life will, even in some small way, bring about something positive.

Denver Broncos are out of the play-offs now. I'm very disappointed!!

Worked a long shift at the YMCA today. So enjoy my co-workers! Swamped with New Year's Eve resolutions. I signed up about 12 people for memberships. Some will stick with it, but in about 3 wks many will start to give up- happens every year in fitness. I try to tell people that moderate, consistent effort is what makes a difference, but there are those who insist on coming in completely out of shape and working out as long and HARD as conditioned athletes. The higher the intensity the better in their minds. Well, they end up exhausted, nauseated, sore, injured and disappointed. Bless their hearts, I see them overdo it BIGTIME with this look on their faces that says, "I, I will survive", but they just can't keep up that kind of pace. Then they blame the club & instructors for not getting them where they want to be and demand refunds on membership. Go figure!

Not sure I'm making any official resolutions this go-round- though it's always my goal to be a better person today than I was the day before and keep learning...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!

4 comments:

Don said...

Did you come down to Keene? I live about 15 minutes from there. Very nice little town.

We can all use a better year. I have learned that it is best for me to live in the Now. It is all we have to be sure of. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is promised to no one.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

"The death of any human being does nothing to excite me." What about all the deaths that Saddam brought about? 1/2 to 2 million? When is it OK to say that someone should be punished for such evil? What kind of a world would it be if we don't have justice?

Love ya! Trailady, I am reconciled to the fact that we differ on some points, but don't consider this a threat to our basic agreement on our devotion to Christ(by the way, notice I GOT MY PROFILE PHOTO!)

Trailady said...

Don, Yes, I was very close to Keene as I was in Arlington/Fort Worth over the weekend.

Brian, Thanks. I cannot seem to find you in the Blogosphere. If I click on your name here, it goes to an error page? Any ideas??

I LOVE the photo, Gabrielle!! :o) I cannot make a judgement call as to whether or not Saddam should have been hanged. All I am saying is that I was not thrilled about it. There are times when people die for their crimes and justice is served satisfactorily, but I cannot celebrate the death of anyone. We are ALL victims of life's hardship here on earth. Some more than others. Some make terribly foolish choices and cause the suffering of many. Saddam did terrible things- this cannot be denied. Still, I feel sadness, not joy at anyone's passing. I would not want anyone to celebrate my death.

sage said...

happy new year Trailady! As I wrote, I agree with you on Saddam.