Sunday, November 26, 2006

Access Denied?

"Behold an angel of God stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone all around them, and they were terrified. And the angel said, "Do not be afraid, for I bring unto you Good News of great joy that is to be for ALL people. For there is born unto you this day in the city of David a Savior who is Christ, the Lord.... Suddenly there was a great host of angels praising God and singing, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace, goodwill toward ALL mankind.." Luke 2:9-14

As I was reading this seasonally appropriate passage, it really struck me. There is a 3 letter word that has changed my life-view forever. A-L-L. I've seen this word before. Jesus said, "If I be lifted up from the earth, I will draw ALL men unto Me". The Good News of great joy- the Messiah was born to be the sacrifice for the sins of all ethnic groups and genders. This Message was not well received by those who had attained "perfection" and felt they pleased God by keeping a list of rules. The Good News of Salvation was and is for everyone- all people- whosoever will believe and receive it.

I'm forced to ask myself "Have I handled this Good News as God would want me to?" Admittedly, I'm a recovering Pharisee. You see, there was a time when I was quite narrow- wanted everything to be a certain way. The music and sermons, the company and food all had to suit my tastes. My very life showed that I preferred the Kingdom of Heaven to be a members-only, high-society club for shiny, happy, flawless people. But if I had my way, what hope then would remain for the poor, the outcasts, the slave, the abused, abandoned, neglected and sorrowful? Who would lift the helpless and brokenhearted?? The church signs mentioned in my previous post bottle Christianity up in a neat, tidy little package meant only for a select few who join the club. They do not represent Good News, but condemnation. I'm sure any one of the churches who posted the offending signs would say, "We certainly welcome anyone who enters our doors". But do they really??
Over the course of the next year, I have determined to visit several regional churches in disguise and see how I am received. I will go as a whore, a dirty homeless woman, perhaps a drunk or an uneducated hillbilly with bad teeth, an Aids victim, etc. I will not be disruptive in any way to their services, but I am curious to see how I will be received. I will write a report on each church I visit and how it goes... You see, I find that being greeted cheerfully by the appointed greeter(s) on duty and being welcomed are two different things in churchland.

In the New Testament, several scenarios are presented in order to paint a clearer picture of what God expects from those who claim to be His:

Scenario 1:
Scripture says that "good, Christian" people will come to Jesus expecting to gain entrance to Heaven. Jesus will then say, "I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was naked and you did not clothe me, and in prison but you did not visit Me." Then they will say, "But Lord, when did we ever see You like this and not help You?" To which He replies, "Whatsoever you have done unto the least of these, you have done unto Me".
I once read this passage thinking only of literal food, water, clothing for the poor and visits to the state Penitentiary. Most Christians have performed these charitable acts at one time or another. However, looking through my new spiritual glasses, I see that Jesus is actually saying something even more profound here... He is actually showing them how they failed to proclaim the Good News in their everyday lives. You see, for the hungry, Jesus is the Bread of Life, for the thirsty, Jesus is the Living Water, for those who are spiritually naked, He offers a robe of righteousness and the many who are imprisoned by their sins- are to be cared for.

Another passage that confirms my view on this is the commission Jesus gives to Peter. He (Jesus) says, "Peter, do you love Me?" Peter says, "Yes, Lord, You know I love You." Jesus says, "Feed my sheep". Now in scripture- anytime something is repeated, it is for emphasis. Jesus asks Peter this question and gives the commission, not once, but 3 times. Was He literally talking about sheep? No, He meant people. Was He talking about literal food? No, He meant feed their spirits with the Bread of Life- the Good News!

Scenario 2:
Again, people are wanting to join in the great wedding feast of the Lamb. They come before the Lord and say, "Allow us entrance for we have done wonderful works and have even cast out demons in Your name." Jesus will then say to them, "Go away from me, for I never knew you". Why? Because, they are coming with pride, expecting their good works to get them in the door. Christ saying, "I never knew you" is a literal statement. These people were so busy out-performing each other that they didn't actually get to know Jesus. They come to the door as strangers expecting to gain access based upon their own merit- not His.

Throughout scripture, I do not see access being denied or rebukes being given to those who are admittedly sinners in need of a Savior. Jesus consistantly rebukes those who are self-decieved and think they are better than others. Apparently, there is more danger in saying we are good, than there is in confessing we are sinners.
However, be careful who you confess to. Most churches are little more than clubhouses for self-congratulators. Confess any real (taboo) sins, and you just might find them a little less-than-friendly. However, people who mean well, but deny access to the Good News, keeping it from those deemed less-than-desirable, will find themselves barred from Heaven. A very serious thought...

3 comments:

Kevin Beck said...

Great stuff. Funny how encompassing the word "all" can be. Blessings

Trailady said...

Hey Kevin, Thanks for stopping by! I very much enjoyed your blog. :o)

Inheritor, I am thrilled to hear of this new venture you are undertaking and my prayers are with you for great success in both becoming real and in providing a safe atmosphere for other to also be real. Bless you!

Trailady said...

Hello Brian,

You ask a very good question. No, Heaven is not segregated, that's what I've been trying to say for some time now... Many times Christians try to make it exclusively they or their particular denomination that go to Heaven.
Many religions believe in a Paradise. (Christians are not the only ones who can be exclusive, many Muslims believe only Muslims can go there. Mormans believe only Mormans can go, etc.) However, I believe there will be many sincere people who never set foot in a church or heard of Muhammad, there are those who never spoke a 'Hail Mary' who will be in Paradise, because of the ceaseless work of the Holy Spirit moving upon the hearts of men, they were Kingdom builders here on earth. They were kind, honest-hearted, merciful and helped meet the needs of those around them. Fact: there are many Hindu, Shintu & Muslim who have been more honorable, genuinely loving & hospitable than some Christians. Being a religionist isn't what saves anyone.

I believe ALL are God's children, some choose not to accept that, but it doesn't change the fact that they are.

Often men judge worthiness by whatever human standard they set as being worthy, but in the end it is The Almighty Who will decide.
I don't have all the answers...