Monday, November 06, 2006

Saddam...

One of the most powerful leaders in the Middle East has been condemned to death by hanging. Many celebrate this verdict as if we just scored a big touchdown. Saddam was a heavy-handed ruler, saddistic in many of his dealings with the people of Iraq. There was torture, murder in the night, people arrested and never heard from again, mass murders of innocent people in retaliation for an attempted assasination plot, etc. Much of this was done to Iraqis without due process. However, and this may sound very un-American of me, I'm not celebrating that this man is going to die. Yes, he made mistakes, yes, his sons were thugs, yes he was defiant, but he is a human being whose life will soon end. This man has been completely stripped of everything he loved. His country, his title, his life of ease, his sons and a future. Now, his very breath will be taken from him. Is this really something to cheer about?

Would any of us want people applauding our deaths? It's sobering for me when any person dies- no matter their crimes- can't help but think about eternity. I cannot say where Saddam's heart is, but no person is completely evil- there is some good in everyone. Saddam was once some woman's precious little boy.
Saddam made mistakes- that's for sure- don't we all? His cruelty was widely felt by the people because he rose to such power, but he is still only flesh and blood.

It is unsettling for me when any jury sentences someone to death. We often sit in judgement over the very criminals we have created through neglect and disadvantage. People can do terrible things when they are desparate for love, shelter and something to eat! Society is structured so there are winners and losers. If you are born on the wrong side of town, it's going to be difficult (not impossible) to change your station in life. Worse yet, the rich tend to get richer by walking on the poor for their own gain. (Sweat-shops in third-world countries being a prime example of this.) Saddam was born to be a leader and he abused that power. However, if we treated him with injustice- we are no better than he.

Who gave us the right to play god over other people's lives? In taking Saddam's life, are we any more just than he was? Murder is murder- whether the act is performed by a hardened criminal or an unsympathetic jury. Both processes require a certain indifference toward the life of another. Don't think for a moment that when a death sentence is decided by group decision there is no longer individual responsibility. Easy for us to say "hang 'em high", but could YOU pull the trapdoor lever? Don't think I could.

Several years ago I saw many folks standing around a prison with signs mocking Ted Bundy on the day of his execution, "Thank God it's FRY-day", "Teds eggs are about to be fried", etc. They were engaging in revelry as if preparing to watch a football game or something. Where is the compassion for the fallen ones? Can we not see beyond our own pain enough to mourn lives that have been sold into darkness?? Easy for me to say- right? Ted Bundy never brutally raped and murdered one of my daughters. True, but I pray if that ever does happen to my family, I will show mercy. Light is stronger than darkness and love more powerful than hatred.
The fact that victims are lost to men with evil intentions is truly devastating, but gives us no right to detest anyone. It is not flesh and blood we wrestle with, but spiritual powers and principalities of darkness. There are forces that seek to control the human mind. We all have a choice. We can give in to the selfishness within us, serving the voices of our lower nature, or through the power of God, we can rise above.

I suppose I wouldn't feel so unsettled about this recent verdict in the Middle East were I able to believe that Saddam got fair treatment. I'm afraid that's not the case and suspect the whole thing was a political circus act. The defense wasn't even heard or given a chance to present any valid information. I'm not saying Saddam is innocent. I believe he performed the atrocities as accused- at the very least it happened on his watch and he didn't stop it or punish the perpetrators. However, even he deserves the right to a fair trial.

The prisoners in Guantanamo Bay deserve to be treated ethically and with due process. How many young men have been held there for over 2 years without any solid evidence? Outrageous! How many mothers, wives and daughters suffer and wait for their men to come home with no hope of ever seeing them again? I love my country, but I believe the US is creating more enemies. Any man who has been held illegally or treated unethically at GITMO will be highly prone to acts of terrorism against the US in the future. Kindness, not cruelty or power wins people over.

If we allow injustice to be dealt to foriegners, it won't be long before injustice is on our own soil and more evident in our courts. Since when do we have the right to hold someone indefinitely without showing just cause? Since when do we have the right to punish prisoners before they have been convicted of a crime before a court and a jury of their peers? Since when does the media become so one-sided? Where along the way did we forget 'Innocent until PROVEN guilty'?

12 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

I think it is true that REVELING in someone's death with tactless signs and hooplah is quite disgusting. Do I think he deserves the death penalty? Absolutely. I believe that capital punishment is Biblical and in his case, necessary.
But to sit back and have a celebration when, most likely, this man is going to be sent to eternal damnation? That is nothing to celebrate.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Saddam is evil - unrelenting, unrepenting. I don't know......

Anonymous said...

As a person who is against the death penalty in the United States, I could not be consistent if I called for the death of a tyrant such as Saddam.

Raheel Lakhani said...

Death penalty anywhere is a real dangerous act. I think its unethical to a certain extent too.

Raheel Lakhani said...

This article is written by my friend, though I haven't read it fully but I guess it was appropriate to post here =p

http://www.chowk.com/show_article.cgi?aid=00007356&channel=university%20ave

Trailady said...

Hi Kristen, Absolutely right, nothing to celebrate. I do find capital punishment in the Bible- however, it was usually a directive straight from God Almighty Himself. To sentence someone in this life without a fair trial just doesn't sit well for me- even if it is a criminal like Saddam.

Gabrielle, yes, situations like these do bring about some conflicting emotions for me too...

Dustin, Most people who are bold about supporting the death penalty could never themselves pull the trigger, give the injection or pull the lever. We tend to separate ourselves from it emotionally, but if we had to carry out the act on another person, I don't think many could do it. I believe it is always safest to take the moral/ethical highground. To me, to murder a murderer brings us down to his level.

Raheel, to me death penalty is a very ungracious act. It says, you are SO bad, we all have given up on you and you no longer deserve to live. If Almighty God dealt justice the way we so often do, many of us would be dead.

I don't have all the answers, it is interesting to contemplate these things...

Don said...

Sobering thoughts. I have always supported the death penalty. Since discovering the true gospel of God's grace, I am rethinking my position. I have not changed my mind yet, but am letting the Spirit speak. I hope I am listening. It is difficult for me to even think what it must be like for the families of the thousands whose deaths he is responsible for. He is a sad,pitiful man. Even so I find myself recognizing him as a child of God, a creation just like me....
Very sobering.......

Anonymous said...

For me, my "anti" stance comes from the notion that all people are created in the divine image and are thus accorded, or should be accorded, absolute dignity as people. No one should be able to take that dignity from them, save God alone, regardless of what they have done with their life. To me, the death penalty just perpetuates a system where we murder those who have been created in God's image.

(As an aside, I must say that I understand the viewpoint of those who disagree with me. This is a very sensitive subject, especially for those who have been victims. I have always shared with my family that if something violent were to happen to me, I would want them to fight for the life of my "killer" and work for his/her redemption. No one is ever too far from God's reach.)

Roseuvsharon said...

The priest who could not wet the sacrifical knife with his tears was unworthy to kill the sacrificial lamb.

Too many people have served prison sentences and even time on death row before being proven innocent. Some only had their innocence known after they were executed.

Given the ability of some attorneys to twist words and make wrong look right and so forth to do the best they can for their client, I would not be able to live with myself if I had to "release the trap door." I would be forever wondering if the condemned had really been innocent.

Whether or not the trial was fair, most of us do believe that Saddam is guilty of many crimes against humanity. But as others have said, that death sentence is nothing to be celebrated.

sage said...

We often do forget that even those we hate have mothers and were created in God's image. We don't want to think about that when we call for vengence. Once someone is behind bars, to shout with joy about their demise seems cowardly.

This is a wonderful post that spoke to me--especially in light of recent events in which a friend took his life after being "comdemned" by the media.

In my opinion, to be pro-life, one has to be against capital punishment as well as abortion.

Anonymous said...

"In my opinion, to be pro-life, one has to be against capital punishment as well as abortion."

Which is the striking paradox with the "pro-life" stance...it's only pro-life in certain places.

Trailady said...

Welcome Sage, stop by anytime. I agree that we need to be consistent with our ethics. 'Pro-lifers' will argue that the unborn have never committed any crime. True, but human life is human life in my opinion.

Dustin, you've made a legitimate observation here. I think our ethics should be consistent in this area.