Sunday, November 19, 2006

Very Funny- NOT!!!!!

I was talked into seeing 'Borat'. Someone paid my way and offered me a ride- I went along thinking I was going to see a legitimate, but comical human-interest documentary made by a man from the Middle East. (I am interested in Middle-eastern culture- thought it would be interesting.) Turns out the joke is on me. I wasted an hour and a half of my time watching a bunch of ignorant garbage produced by some off-color British comedian. Yes, bits of it were funny, but most of it was just plain disgusting!

Now understand, I am pretty down to earth & have a healthy sense of humor. I'm known for pulling pranks and doing the occasional joke on someone- I love to laugh, but this film was just WAY out of line in my opinion. I should have walked out, but kept bearing with it thinking "This is going to get better and have a legitimate point- no movie can be this pointless" but I was wrong. Sacha Cohen has made this film on the sly- apparently many of the people appearing in it had no idea they were even going to be in a movie and are now sueing. I sat embarassed with my eyes covered for much of the film. I was not the only one in the audience who was shocked by the outright disrespect. There is nothing funny about incest, rape or sodomy. Crude and insensitive- upon learning that his wife has been mauled to death by a bear, Borat gives the messenger a high-5. Am I supposed to laugh while some wannabe comedian makes fun of our National Anthem?? The film is an outright insult to people of the Middle East- 'Borat' makes them out to be ignorant, uneducated, immoral and incestuous people. I'm surprised there hasn't been an outcry from the Muslim community over this! Nobody is safe from the tauntings of Mr. Cohen.

He is extremely disrespectful to the United States and crass toward the female gender. There are many cruel and repulsive stereo-types in the film. Some incredibly offensive things about Jews, the mentally impaired and black women are portrayed as being whores. The US isn't perfect, but we certainly aren't all a bunch of racist, perverts, sexists or religious fanatics. 'Borat' makes a circus out of our way of life and we are supposed to pay money to watch him do that? NO THANKS!! My advice? Save yourself some indigestion and pass on seeing this nasty film.

2 comments:

SocietyVs said...

I actually like Borat (I haven't seen the movie but I have seen the Ali G show a tonne). I understand he is playing a backwards idiot (hick-like) who knows nothing about cultural change- which makes him funny...then again my sense of humor is beyond warped.

Trailady said...

Hi Societyvs, thanks for stopping by and offering your opinion. :o)