Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Good Ol' Fashioned Business!

For 3 years of my early life we lived in the small midwestern town of Holiday, Missouri. Population was 133- including Mama, my brother Will and I. After living near the east coast, it was like stepping back in time. Things moved more slowly. People had that friendly, hospitable spirit. Our town had a small rural school grades 1-8, 4 churches, Callison's Feed Store and Harry Smith's Gas & Grocery. People there still gathered for 8th grade graduations and school talent shows. There was a population of about 30 kids ages 16 & under who could ride bikes and run around without fear of being kidnapped by some crazy pervert.

There were lots of stay-home Moms in Holiday who looked out their windows from time to time just to make sure we weren't getting into trouble. There were lots of things I loved about living in a small town. My teachers and neighbors were wonderful! I remember the sound of the old trains passing through twice a day, their whistles sounding like watchmen saying, "All is well". The highlight of the town was Harry Smith's store. You see, he had a big glass counter under which he kept all manner of treats. I can still picture Harry in my mind, snowy-white hair combed-over, black military issue glasses, baggy overalls and steel-toe boots. When you stepped inside his little shop, you were greeted by the smell of beef-jerky and sweet pipe. He loved children and did business the old fashioned way. Harry trusted people and cared more about them than about making a buck. I know he probably didn't make much profit on his business, but everyone adored him. Occasionally, we would get enough snow for him to get his old mare and bobsled out and he would come around on Sunday afternoons after church giving rides. It was wonderful! Harry was a small man, barely over 5 feet tall, but to us he was a giant of a man with a heart of gold! His associate/clerk's name was Roy Snodgrass. (Boy- did we have fun with that!) Roy was also a kind man who allowed us to laugh WITH him about his name. Roy would slip extra candy into our little paper sacks every other time we bought something. He would occasionally give us free soda in the summer time just for stopping in to say "howdy". I remember we were low on food more than once. I would go over to Harry's before Mama got paid and walk out with Hamburger buns, milk, eggs, pancake & cornbread mix, beans and butter, because he knew our word was good. He kept a little yellow paper tablet behind the counter and would write our names on it and what we owed. There were several times that Mama sent me over- money in hand to pay our debt and he would look at his tablet, wink at me and say, "Well, I can't find your name on my list here- just call it even". God bless him!! Harry and Roy are both gone now. Their little store no longer has a gas pump because of new regulations. The door was opened when we visited several years ago, but there was no candy counter and the building was run down. The grocery part of the store was empty, except for some pop machines, pool tables and pinball machines. There were calendars of naked women on the wall and a bunch of men sitting around smoking. I was sorry I even bothered to stop by- so different, it made me sad.

In days gone by, a person wearing a change belt would run out to pump your gas and wash your windshield- yes, I'm old enough to remember that- it was dying out when I was a kid. If you pumped the fuel yourself, you paid AFTER you filled up. Waiters and waitresses would look you in the eye and chit-chat a little to earn their tips- they didn't just EXPECT you to tip because they brought food and set it before you.
This past week, I've come to realize that I really miss doing business the old fashioned way. There is something special about someone recognizing you when you walk through the door, greeting you by name and giving you their trust. So many people today are dishonest, many proprietors feel they can trust no one. It's a crying shame. You can hardly write a check anywhere these days because of so many bouncers who are either completely bad with Math, too lazy to check their account or just plain dishonest.

I have found 2 places locally where business is still done on the honor system. The local feed store and Cici's pizza. The feed store allows handshake credit for return customers. I was on break from the YMCA one afternoon and quite hungry. I was meeting my family at Cici's pizza buffet. (They are the best thing going for a family- all you can eat for $4.99 pr. adult and as little as 2.99 pr. child. Great pizza too AND they'll custom make you any kind of pizza you want.) Anyway, I walked into Cici's ahead of my family who were running late-as-usual. I had no cash on me- my break was slipping away while I sat in the foyer waiting for my family. The manager saw me stressing there, asked if he could help me, then when I told him I was on break but had to wait on my family, he said, "I've seen you guys here several times. Please, go ahead and get your food- your husband can just pay for you when he gets here". I felt warm inside- feels good to be treated like a human being! They will have our business for years to come because of that one simple act of trust and kindness.

I've noticed while working Customer Service at the YMCA, people are thrilled when we remember their names & faces. Often, we will wave our regulars on by without making them check in. They really like it when we do that- makes them feel special. It used to be- the customer was valued, their complaints were patiently heard and you worked hard to make things right and keep them happy. Every so often I pay Harry's kindness forward and give free punches on fitness cards or extra credit toward the free t-shirts. (Shhhh, don't tell anyone) It makes me feel good inside and the customer feels valued. Harry knew that if you invest a little in your clients, they will invest a lot in your business. There is something really great about business the ol' fashioned way and I wish there was more of it...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of my childhood (early 50's)in central Texas. All is so very similiar. I become very nostalgic as you obviously have. Oh for the "good ole days"....

Anonymous said...

P.S. Trailady, I found a site with some signs that will give you pause. unfortunately, most don't have a clue.
http://www.gospelrevolution.com/church_sign.htm

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

Not sure why your post has reminded me of this quote, but it has:
"Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as you ever can."
— John Wesley, evangelist and founder of Methodism

I guess all that is necessary for evil and unfairness to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful post! I was reminded of the difference today when receiving poor customer service from Sears. Sears has a well established name going back to the 1800s.

i remember too, the good times going back to the 50's-60's, living in a small town, visiting the local dime store, the drug store fountain, and the little movie theater on main street. How horrible a world where there is not even the remembrance anymore. How wonderful a world where these truths are embraced.