Wednesday, November 01, 2006

No Other Gods- Part III

There are many things I seem willing/able to give up for God- favorite TV shows, foods, music, clothing, hobbies, etc. All of these things that are percieved by the church to be "sinful". However, God has asked me to surrender the idol I loved most- my churchianity. I reached a point where I could no longer distinguish God from church- to me they were one and the same. To vary in thought or practice from the corporate church or it's leaders in any way was to turn my back on God. What fear & bondage I have lived under! It's never easy to place something you love upon the altar of faith. But like Abraham, I want to obey. There is a lesson to be learned here...

I've come to realize I don't have to be inside a building or play dress-up to worship. (Where in scripture does it say we have to put on finery to come before the Lord??) I've had church in jeans- on horseback before. Scripture says I'm a temple of the Living God. Wherever I go- He is there in my heart. I even had church in a dark parking lot the other night. A black woman I barely knew and her family of 7 presented me with some groceries- simply because they heard from someone else that we are struggling. They hugged me, we cried and prayed together- a beautiful thing! They are also outcasts of organized religion. God is using them now more than ever!

Kingdom Seekers- not pew-warmers take time to weep and pray with me in this time of trial. Kingdom Seekers, not church people have brought us food. Kingdom Seekers have reached out to us in this time of uncertainty. There is a pride and security that comes from being identified with a church culture- especially if you have a heart for ministry as I do. Stepping away from that reveals to me just how much my faith was built upon a church and it's lifestyle- not security in Christ Jesus. Honestly, I am undone... but my shattered identity is being rebuilt upon a sure foundation and better promises.

Big church is controlling- one of the most power-hungry forces that exist. It tends to rely heavily on Pastors, Priests and Professors- telling people what to think and spoon-feeding theology. The organized system only ordains those who are careful to preach what they are taught to say. Major speaker/directors allow themselves to become celebs- people hang on their every word. However, I find the Kingdom says we are ALL ministers of the Gospel- men and women, young and old alike. Christ did not pick the most learned, articulate scholars of the Temple school for disciples. He chose common fisherman, tax collectors and whores. He taught them the Gospel and simple Kingdom principles, then sent them out to share the Good News. They were unpolished- had a lot to learn- but still He sent them. When they started getting political, pushing for positions of authority, Jesus was quick to let them know that's not how the Kingdom of Heaven operates. Everything He did refuted the dogmatic religious culture of His time: His simple message, practical garments, the respectful way He treated women, the mercy He showed to sinners, the humility of spirit, non-judgemental attitude and willingness to reach out to anyone who needed Him. His yoke was easy and His burden light. The most powerful thing a Kingdom Seeker can share is a testimony- every believer has one. Don't be afraid to tell your story!


Any good thing can become an idol. In my mind, keeping 10 Commandments was the magical code by which to unlock God's approval and blessing. I had them hanging on the wall as a daily meditation. I was out to be the most upright, Commandment keeper that ever was! The Law and 'The Testimonies' were my whole identity as a believer. I did okay with the letter of the Law and lifestyle changes, but the Spirit of the Law... is where I fell WAY short. I could reasonably control my actions, but not my mind. It became clear that God had my attention, but not my heart. Transfixed upon those tablets of stone, I failed to notice the old rugged cross and the Sinless One who hung upon it for me. God says, "I will take your heart of stone and give you a heart of Flesh". The Commandments are good and have their place, but they have been the heart of the church's Old Covenant- righteousness by works message for generations. A Redeemer is far better. Will Jesus ever take His rightful place at the forefront of our experience? Now is the time to enter God's rest.

When my computer crashed last week, I lost all the information it contained- including a lot of clutter. Now, the hard-drive is reformatted and fresh- ready to hold new information. The system is working better without all that baggage taking up space in the memory. God is doing the same with my heart. Emptying me of every idol and every hindrence- former thoughts, hurts, pre-conceived ideas about what constitutes Truth. He is reformatting my entire life. :o)

4 comments:

Andy said...

Fabulous series of posts, TL. Keep bringing on these thoughts, because you're dead on right.

But I will say this - when a community of believers actually starts listening to the Holy Spirit, is in tune with God's Will as a community, it is a powerful, powerful thing to behold. I have seen it start to happen in my faith community, in a church building on Sunday mornings, and it is beautiful to see.

I have the good fortune to have been called by God to help lead corporate prayers on alternating Sundays, and I get up there usually in Hawaiian shirts and jeans (never a suit and tie). It is not about our external adornments (there's a passage in the NT about that) - it's what's in our hearts.

Having been where you were as well, I known EXACTLY how you feel, and the freedom that comes when your heart is UNLEASHED is powerful.

Keep it up, sister!

billie said...

wow!

Tim Rice said...

I liked how you ended your post - "God is reformatting my life." So relevant a statement in this age of computers. It hits home. Thanks.

Trailady said...

Andy, Thanks for stopping by and for reading this series! :o)

Hi Brian! Yes, I agree with you- we are all God's children. Some do not believe a Higher Power exists. Some do not want to be His children or refuse to accept His love, but it's still true. God IS love. Hope things are getting better for you...

Hey Betmo, how's it going?

Tim, I thought about saying 'Re-booting', but it's deeper than that. To re-format is to completely start over. Life is full of fresh starts. :o)