Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Taking Risks...

Life is one big gambling session. We must be willing to take risks. From the moment we take our first steps, we chance pain. Love and faith are the biggest risks of all. We commit our souls to an unseen, often silent Higher Power. We make promises to one another while caught up in the rush of hormones and the warm-fuzzies of new love, feeling young and invincible. We pledge for better or worse, little knowing how bad "worse" can get, then what? I've got a LOT of passion & fight left in me, but right now I feel small and insignificant. It's a BIG world with so many needs- do I really matter?

When life seems to fall apart, God has not failed. Love does not falter, people do. So we have faith and take risks. Sometimes things turn out the way we hoped they would. Other times, we kiss our plans goodbye and go back to the drawing board.


I don't believe in mediocrity, I strive for excellence, though I am sincere I don't always hit the mark. Why is it we fail to celebrate those who give life a good try- only applauding those who "succeed"? How do we measure happiness & success?? Is the corporate "Big Cheese" with VIP parking truly a success or was he/she merely a good strategist? How many people were stepped on in order to get to the top?? Society applauds couples who stay married for decades- despite the fact that many of them couldn't stand each other or were bored out of their minds. Is that a successful relationship?


I don't believe success or happiness should be based on how many times we finish in the lead, or who dies with the most toys. It is NOT happiness I am after. No, I want satisfaction- that's something that goes deeper and can exist in good or bad times. Many things we chase in this life are somewhat unsatisfying once the newness wears off. The sports car, the fancy house, the lusty acquaintance... these things dangle on the big "happiness hook", but once pursued & tasted, one may find they come with a bigger price than initially bargained for. We only own possessions to a certain point, then they begin to own us.

At the end of my life, I want to bask in satisfaction. Didn't someone once say, "To try and fail is better than never trying in the first place"?

I can't help but wonder what happens when the best of our efforts & intentions aren't good enough to get us where we want to be? Who will be there to catch me when I am exhausted? I don't know, but I want to live with boldness, taking my licks and still smiliing...

3 comments:

sage said...

good thoughts

Kat said...

Life may be like a box of chocolates, but it's not about what you get, it's about what you do with it.

I don't know the answeres, but I feel for you. I've made different choices for different reasons than you have. Who's to say that mine were right and yours were wrong or that yours were right and mine were wrong. Maybe both of us were right, I don't know.

I do know that the choices we make in this life affect what happens in the next. I hope I've not given up to much. I hope you get to feel satisfaction.

You are one of my best friends and I miss you. I keep forgeting to call on the weekends when it won't cost... :( I'll try to remember this coming one. Love you!

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Hopefully, when one is exhausted, that is when the eternal friend takes over and the real life begins, after the death.