Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Empty Chair...

This year there was an empty chair in our family's Thanksgiving celebration. The last time we were all together as a family was a year ago today. Grandpa was dying of Pulmonary fibrosis. We sat him in his favorite chair and the family sang to him. My kids sang & played their hand-bells and we all just enjoyed being together. It was an emotional time. I have rarely felt such closeness. Grandpa B. was an optimist- full of spunk- a soldier till the end. Even though he was on oxygen- the slightest bit of activity would leave him panting for breath. He still made his way out to the living room to ride 3 miles a day on his stationary bike. He did this up until a few days before he died gasping for breath in his bed with Grandma by his side. (Ironically, he had never smoked) They were married over 60 yrs. My husband & I headed out as soon as we got the call that Grandpa was nearing the end, but he died just 15 mins after we got the first call. I cried all the way up to PA. I cried the entire viewing/funeral service. My heart was breaking! I love my blood family, but it isn't exactly close-knit. Grandpa B. was really the first Grandpa I ever had a chance to experience. He was the first to welcome me into the family when I was dating my husband-to-be. His smile and contagious laughter put me at ease. We were kindred spirits- loving to play pranks. He was a brave WWII vet, a hardworker and wonderful Christian man- the kind of guy who would give the shirt off his back to anyone in need. Family was top priority to him. He and Grandma often sent us money when we were still in college. They made their way out to us wherever we were living to help out after the birth of our babies. They came to help us paint when we built our new house. I never really got to know my blood Grandfathers much. Always felt I was out of sight- out of mind to them, but not so with Grandpa B. I KNEW he loved me and how I adored him! Today is hard as I remember one of the greatest men in my life. 13 yrs of knowing him wasn't long enough. I knew my husband was missing him today, but tonight as I sat typing this blog, my 5 yr. old daughter came and stood quietly beside me. She laid her hand on my arm, so I stopped typing & took her onto my lap. She began to cry softly saying, "Mama, I miss Grandpa. I remember rubbing his arm and covering him with my blanky at Thanksgiving last year. He died and now I don't remember him very much." We just sat rocking together and cried a little, then she was ready to go play again. It pains me to think of Grandma sleeping, eating, praying alone. Someday there will be two empty chairs. I don't ever want to take any person for granted... we pass away too quickly...

1 comment:

Tiffany Butler said...

hi, thanks for posting on my blog...i haven't updated it for awhile...your encouragement is a blessing and much needed...isn't God's timing great?
yes, i agree, we DO have lots in common! (kindred spirits, lol).
i just read your last post and really feel for you and your family...praying comfort from the Comforter.
Bless U, Tiffany