Friday, November 25, 2005

On Thin Ice...

One winter weekend back when I was a teen, my family went for a hike that turned into an adventure. The PA snow was laying beautifully along the wooded paths. Following my Dad, we soon found ourselves at a dead end with a BIG frozen lake in front of us. My Dad didn't miss a stride- just kept walking... onto the ice. He got about 20 yards out when he realized none of us were following him. I guess we were all nervous that we might fall through. He called to us, promising the ice was strong enough to hold. I was really nervous about it. After several minutes, one by one we worked up the courage to attempt the crossing. My Step-mother was wary, but was first to follow, then my 2 brothers. After some persuasion from everyone else, my little sister and I finally held hands and stepped onto the ice together. (I wouldn't admit it, but I was scared silly- too many Rescue 911 episodes were chronicled in my brain!) I was sure at any moment, we'd go crashing through the groaning sheet of frozen lake to certain death, but I kept my eyes on my Dad- following him across what felt like miles of creaking glass. A couple of times, I looked down to see what appeared to be deep cracks in the ice. My sister and I even recited the 23rd Psalm... the part about, "...though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...." We weren't in much danger, but it was nerve-wracking. Dad reached the other shore, then stood there smiling & re-assuring the rest of us. The last 1/2 of the trek, I actually started to relax and enjoy myself a little- it was kinda cool! In a sense, we were walking on water. I was however, relieved when my feet were back on solid ground. I filed that experience away as one of my good memories. Experiencing the Grace of God is a faith walk- much like crossing that frozen lake. I've worked so hard in the past to "make myself good/acceptable" to my Heavenly Father. I wasted years of my life in self-centeredness, pacing back and forth on the shores of self-reliance where I felt safe- instead of stepping out onto the rich Grace of my Father- following Him to a better shore. He never gives up on me, but waits patiently. His Word assures me that His Grace is sufficient enough to bear the weight of my sinful nature. I held my breath, argued, made excuses, resisted, putting forth great human effort- 'til I was totally wasted and had NO other recourse than to trust my Father and step out in faith. The miracle is- despite the groanings of doubt I experience at times, Grace is holding me up! God IS big enough to answer my questions. His ability to save is greater than my ability to sin. We are never on thin ice when God is leading. He will never take me where His Grace cannot keep me. If you're tired of never feeling good enough, if you're ready for a grand adventure- I invite you to rest your soul in the marvelous love of God.

No comments: