Monday, November 28, 2005

Spiritual Abuse...

Who among us has the right to invade a soul uninvited? The spirit is the most sacred part of our being. I recently heard someone say that it's OK to be pushy if you're sharing truth, "After all, wouldn't you drag someone kicking and screaming from a burning building?" he asked. My answer is this, "Yes, I would drag someone from a burning building- NOT a good analogy. The beauty of our God is that He allows us the freedom to resist rescue & choose the burning." Christ was respectful, patient, never pushy or rude. The only ones He ever rebuked were those who acted like they had it all together. He was a humble servant, healing, restoring- always having time for the little ones. He taught in simple parables and asked thought-provoking questions. Jesus presented truth by living it, sharing insights and letting people come to their own conclusions about Him- as the Spirit led. If a man lies with a woman within a loving relationship, it is considered making love. If a man forces himself upon a woman outside a love-relationship it is rape. To penetrate the spiritual realm of any human being (including my children) is the equivalent of spiritual rape. Is it ever my place to "change" or convince someone else? How often have I rushed ahead of the Holy Spirit in my attempt to add another notch to my baptism belt? Are we seeking to make more Adventists or to nurture people in a love relationship with Jesus Christ? To try and motivate people by fear or guilt is nothing short of abuse. I remember growing up terrified of this thing called 'The Time of Trouble' after hearing such dramatic & detailed accounts of torture, starvation and death. I had a very hopeless view of the future growing up. Guilt-trips were laid on me by those who wanted to control my behavior. If I didn't feel like going Ingathering in the dead of winter, I endured looks of disappointment on the faces of those I looked up to- received the speech about the angels weeping because of my lack of charity. (BAD psychology) So I went along, but hated every minute of it. My Bible tells me that "anything not done in faith is sin." If I'm doing anything merely out of a sense of duty or guilt- is that proper motivation? I want love to be the motive behind my actions. My Heavenly Father agrees- as He is courting me on a daily basis. God is not so shallow as to be pleased with outward conformity- He wants our hearts! Do I prefer my children to obey me because they fear punishment, or because they love me? I could brainwash/beat them into submission, but as soon as they were old enough to choose for themselves, they would turn away and never look back! Perhaps the time has come to stop focusing on looking like perfect people and turn to The One who IS perfection. He wants to capture our hearts- to have an intimate connection! Doubt this? Read Song of Solomon. Contrary to the picture Satan has etched in our minds, we don't work hard to appease & win the favor of an angry God- He's not hard to please, but eager to connect. Drink the Living Water and good things will come from your life. "God is for us, who can be against us?" Who can resist such great love? "Do not be afraid little ones- it is Your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom of Heaven."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spiritual abuse is real. Anytime a person tells another person they are not good enough, that really hurts, especially if it comes from a fellow believer. We need to build each other up more and show less negativity.