Saturday, November 26, 2005

Tail Waggers...

I love my dogs! I have 2 really great boys. River & Zephyr- both Lab mixes. Now, I don't mean any disrespect, but my dogs have taught me a lot about God and how to be a better Christian. First of all, if you spell dog backward, you get "god". In many ways, they are a reflection of His character. (Don't take this too far, because eventually the analogy breaks down...) Someone once referred to God as "The great hound of Heaven. Always pursuing those He loves- never giving up on them." My dogs are enthusiastic, loyal, good listeners, friendly, quick to forgive and willing to protect. I've not always been the best owner. Sometimes their feedings are late, or I forget to water them extra on a hot day- they love me anyway. I've lost my temper with them, spoken harshly and called them some ugly names when I'm frustrated- they are quick to show humility. When I go on trips- they don't understand where I've gone, or when I'll return, they must feel abandonment, but when I come home- there they are, wild with excitement to see me. Their love is unconditional, they respect me as their "pack leader". Either of them would die defending me or my children. My dogs have the uncanny ability to always see me in the best light. You know, I want to be more of the open-hearted, forgiving, tail-wagging type- not a critical tongue-wagger. I want to see the best in others. The boys think I'm WAY cool and love to hang out with me- as I type this, both dogs are resting at my feet. I'm so thankful for these furry creatures who bring me such happiness!!

No comments: