Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Square Dancing...

OK- call me corny, but I really enjoy Square-dancing. It's the official folk dance of our country. Fact is, most people have the misconception that it's about a bunch of toothless/barefoot hickabillies in overalls hootin' an hollerin'- WRONG. I like everything about it. Good people come together for the benefits of exercise and fellowship. Great music- my kids call it "bouncy". It's a nice way to get to know your community! It's also like stepping back in time to enjoy ladies, gentlemen, and good old fashioned courtesy. There are no sensual or hedonistic elements to Square-dancing- just clean FUN! My face hurts after an evening of it- from smiling/laughing so much! I've worn a blister on my heel a time or two from the shoes I wear, but it's worth it. The crowd is mostly older folks, but I don't care, we just get out there and have a wonderful time!! It takes me back to those magical years when I was 14 yrs old- my best friend, Pete and I were matched up as partners for the dances on Sat. nights. Those were wonderful times! Now I try to enjoy dancing with my husband, but he has a hard time cutting loose sometimes. More the serious type. You know, I think too often we're afraid to get to know our community or participate in any of it's activities for fear of being "contaminated". What a dull, sheltered life many of us impose upon ourselves! Me, I don't want to dip a toe in, I want to dive in and experience life more fully. I feel so alive when I move. I've rarely met such wonderful people and felt such a closeness as I do when we "join hands and circle left". I can just hear some people saying "How can you call yourself Christian and dance?" Well, Jesus attended a wedding feast. He was Jewish. Have YOU ever attended a Jewish wedding? There's a whole LOT of dancing involved in the celebration and I don't think the Savior sat solemnly frowning in a corner while everyone else had a nice time. In fact, he was so supportive of the newly married couple that He chose to bless their marriage celebration by performing His first miracle there. God created the body for movement, He designed the face for smiling. He also gave us ears for enjoying music and a built-in sense of timing and rhythm. The Bible says 'There is a time to mourn and a time to dance." Riddle me this... why would He then condemn all forms of it????

No comments: