Friday, July 21, 2006

I Love Culture

Today I was introduced to Masala Bhangra. This is folk-dancing that originated in Punjab, Northern India. Bhangra began as a form of celebration for harvests, births and weddings. It's relatively easy to do and is a great workout. In the past, this dance was mainly performed by men, but now women participate as well . Sarina Jain is the fitness instructor who really popularized it as a workout here in the States. The music is bouncy, you can't listen to it and be still. There's nothing sexual about dancing this way. The official attire is colorful and modest- wearing Indian tunics with loose pants. I'm adding Bhangra to my list of cultural dances to learn. As I've mentioned in the past, I greatly enjoy Square Dancing- which is an American Folk Dance.

Every culture has it's own dance. This is a healthy bonding activity- although I was raised to believe that any and ALL forms of dancing are evil. One day I simply let go of my inhibitions and realized the body was created for dance. We have a built-in sense of rhythm. Instead of fearing and suppressing this ability, we should celebrate, develop and utilize it. Most of the people who condemn all forms of dance are paranoid of paganism and human sexuality. They overlook the health & community benefits of cultural dance. In the past, dancing was a strong part of community. I enjoyed participating in Native American dance at a Friendship Fire several years ago. No- they weren't worshipping Satan, they were dancing for The Creator. Dance weaves people together as they celebrate life. My eyes well up as I watch videos of smiling people being joyful. It's a beautiful thing!

Ecclesiastes chapter 3 says, "There is a time for everything under the sun..... a time to dance and a time to mourn". To say that it is only figurative speech doesn't make any sense. Today many condemn dance, but certainly don't frown on people who cry when they are sad. So I dance before God, to worship, to grieve and to celebrate His goodness. I dance at the gym, I dance at weddings, I dance around the living room with my children. Something happens when I am in motion, my heart opens- I feel alive.

There is so much gloom in this world! I will dance in the face of sadness.

6 comments:

Royce said...

Yup, that evil dancing, gunna go to hell if you dance....whatever.

Ever seen a toddler respond to music, they dance, it is one of our most basic instincts.
Nothing wrong with sexuality either in my opinion, one of the most enjoyable and most spiritual things a person can do is have sex. When else do you see the opposite sexes striving for the same goal in harmony.

Beautiful.

Why not celebrate it with dance??

Tim Rice said...

I don't dance (usually and if I do it's rather clumsy). But I love watching cultural dance. Perhaps if I had a friend(s) that would teach me, who knows?

Strictly for my friends said...

Hi...I love dancing bhangra too! It is such a popular dance form in India, that any discotheque is cincomplete without the occasional bhangra number!

Gingers Mom said...

You get out there and DANCE, girl! I went to a Bible college where dancing was forbidden...even at your own wedding! RIdiculous. The idea that dance is wrong is archaic, misled and legalistic. God made our bodies to dance, have fun and worship Him. I love to dance. I look ridiculous when I do it, but it is fun none the less.

Trailady said...

Royce, it's amazing how fluid and natural little ones move to music. They even interpret the moods of the music. My 5 year old is adorable to watch!

Inheritor, I'll definitely check out the song you mentioned.

Tim, I think perhaps the awkwardness of dance is simply because we are not accustomed to letting ourselves be free to dance. It feels very foreign to many of us.

Strictly, Please tell me some of your favorite Bhangra artists. I tend to migrate toward the more traditional dhol music, but some of the remixes are great. I like Shabaz and several others.

Kristen, we fear what we do not know. Most people who condemn dance do so either because they've never danced, or because they can't separate dancing from having sex. To many, if they dance, they are afriad they will end up in bed with someone and all their morals will automatically leave them the minute they start moving. Not so. Good for you! Some people say I'm a really good dancer. It's only because I wasn't afraid to make a fool of myself at first in order to learn. Good for you!! Dance like nobody's watching. :o)

Trailady said...

PS. A quick thought along the same line of thought, at what age do we stop enjoying watching our children dance and start telling them it's wrong to enjoy music in that way? For example, I was allowed to dance & leap all over the living room 'til I was about 10, then I was told it wasn't appropriate anymore. Just doesn't seem right...