Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Viva Diversity!

"Diversity raises the intelligence of groups." - Nancy Kline
Have you ever noticed when people shut themselves away from mingling with others, they become narrow, rigid and judgemental? Classic example- religio/political conservatives who create communes or go off to live in remote areas. Remember Waco? Enough said! The purpose is to be shielded from interaction with anyone who thinks differently. This is based on a false assumption that they alone know the truest path in life and mingling with anyone else of another persuasion will somehow pollute them. (This is PRIDE under the guise of "righteous living", "caution" & "discernment".
I homeschooled my children for years- for the most part, I enjoyed it. Homeschool can be a VERY positive and bonding experience for families. But children need exposure to a variety of people & ways of thinking on a regular basis or their ideas & mannerisms become painfully inbred. I'm sure you've met naive, mal-adjusted children before. I've seen it first-hand many times. Parents wring their hands and weep, "We did everything right, where did we go wrong"? I feel for these people. (I was nearly convinced at one point to become a seclusionist) Often well-meaning parents who feel their views are far superior to anyone else's hide their kids away. Their children finally grow up and are able to get out on their own- but often CRACK under the pressure of facing society. They either go wild in rebellion or retreat back to their private, padded little worlds. Diversity & exposure to basic elements of life are important!
Consider the case of the germa-phobic parents who constantly disinfected everything from toys, doorknobs, hands- even the bottoms of their shoes. They wouldn't allow any pets for fear of contamination. The poor kids even had to wear masks when they were outside the sanitized household. They grew up to be sick all the time. Why? Their immune systems were under-developed. Having never dealt with germs that normal people face on a daily basis, they were simply weak. Overly sanitary living and shielding kids from every form of worldliness/temptation doesn't teach them how to make good choices. They must learn to choose rightly while still under the guidance of loving parents. This involves a little exposure and (scary as it is) it means encouraging the children to think for themselves. Pass on core values- yes! However, our duty as parents is not to make little carbon-copy replicas of ourselves that mirror all our exact preferences. We are to raise healthy, balanced, functional children who will enter society and make a difference.
A scientific example of the need for diversity is that of the purebred dog. Take a breed with good genetics overall, and over breed it with other dogs of similar genetic make-up- you end up with genetic disease & malformation. Some ethical breeders I know import dogs from overseas to keep canine bloodlines from becoming too inbred.
Long ago in the Hawaiian isles, people came from the same basic genetic pool. They had a beautiful culture, but realized outside "influences" were needed. History tells us that parents of young island girls would often try to arrange "encounters" with sailors, fishermen & missionaries who visited in order to ensure the propogation of a healthier lineage.
I'm going WAY against the grain in saying this, but I sure wonder what purpose religious denominations serve other than to divide us. Why didn't the Jews of old get along with Samaritans? Why can't Baptists, Methodists and Lutherans get along? Or Catholics and Adventists?? These are all Christian people, but when was the last time you saw them have a picnic together or join efforts for a good cause?? Why don't Shia & Sunni Muslims get along? It is the same God they worship.
Bottom line? We need each other. We need outside influences spiritually & culturally. Rather than dismiss anyone who doesn't think the way we do, perhaps we should carefully examine values, beliefs and practices of others. What is there to fear? What do we have to lose by doing so??

4 comments:

Sam!! said...

Yeah very true u stated my friend, we all r dependent on each other, we all need support and someone along, one cannot survive in isolation. When we all worship & pray to one God than dnt know why this dispute is for. Dnt know y people make these small small, meaningless things issue. If we r right at our place than that doesnt mean at all that others are wrong. Why we always pin point others n always try to find out flaws in others, why dnt we look into what we r doing, why dnt we try to understand others point of view as well, why we let others free to live their own lifes, why we judge people at small small meaningless things, who r we to decide who is wrong n right,??? These are all answerless questions what i always think of:(
We all shud participate and play our part of role for the peace at our planet earth. We all shud accept the fact that God has made us all dependent at each other. We are nothing alone.

Anyhow i think i talked alot dnt know whether it is all relevant or not, hope u dnt mind it:)

Prayers for the peace.

Takecare

Jody said...

I had to learn this- or relearn this when I became a CHristian. I believed God would want us to reach out to all people and share His love. But I started going to a church where the "college and career" group quickly dismantled my naivete, and formed my malleable mind against everyone around me- even my own family. I was no longer trying hard at school because it was a "corrupt" environment. I was striving to be present at EVERY Bible study possible. I was cutting class to make it to group fellowships. I was blasting Christian Music at work. I became the biggest JERK you could meet all in the name of righteousness- and knowing I was going against instinct. But I wanted to be a good Christian, so I cut everyone out of my life who didn't share my beliefs. And a few years later, all of my "friends" i made at the church dropped me flat and the people I had turned my back on were more than willing to welcome me back into their lives.
And the people I work with are always wanting to hang out with me and invite me places. No one at church used to do that unless it was a church-wide gathering. I have had many fantastic conversations with the people I work with who do not share my beliefs, but I can be open with them about my faith because they are more accepting of my ideas than many CHristian in my life. This is not to say I don't like Christians. I would love to meet new Christian friends to fellowship with, but right now God has me in a very unique place. I am seeking to meet people who share my beliefs, but I do have some trust issues and reservations. Still I value the people in my life- believers and nonbelievers.

Trailady said...

Welcome back, Brian! I look forward to reading about your experience and catching up with Dewy. ;o)

Inheritor, I recently heard about some churches who are now offering 6 different services on any given day of worship. Why? Because the congregation cannot agree on how to worship, so each service is styled differently. Now, I applaud the efforts that are being made to serve and to please, but in a way it's ridiculous that it requires THAT MUCH work to get people to come to church. So I like to say AMEN and I raise my hands during worship- why does that make someone who doesn't worship that way uncomfortable? Some people like upbeat music while others prefer Classical and mellow. Okay, so why can't we all bend a little and learn to appreciate different forms of worship?? These are the ponderings in my head. Surely there is more to being a Christian than meeting someone in the grocery store and starting to chat until the question "What church do YOU go to" comes up. If you are a different denom. than the one asking, immediately a wall goes up. SAD!

Samrina, You never need to apologize for expressing your thoughts here. You are a woman of peace who seeks to interact lovingly and graciously with others. I very much appreciate this. Blessings be upon you!!

Jody, WOW- can I relate to your experience. I'm glad those you disassociated with were willing to forgive and re-establish relationship. I wounded a lot of people during my legalistic phase. I apologized wherever possible, but some people are not very forgiving. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!! :o)

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

thank you Trailady.