Thursday, July 20, 2006

Winning Them Over!

I've been instructing at the YMCA since May. It's been challenging, but a lot of fun. My biggest challenge has been taking over 2 classes from a VERY popular instructor who moved away. Believe me, it's much easier to start a brand new class than to take over for someone else. Filling Beth's shoes has not been easy. For one, the girl was a machine!! She was in her early 40's and had longer to build back up after babies than me. So there's a small group of ladies (set in their ways) who constantly complain about my classes. The music is too loud- NO the music is too soft, I'm working them too hard- NO wait, I'm not challenging them enough. There's a happy medium. I don't get angry when people give me feedback. It's valuable to know where you stand, but it's frustrating to do your best to please them when they are never satisfied. One lady quit my Pilates class altogether. The rest have stuck with it and one by one I'm winning them over. Feels good! I just keep smiling, being pleasant and enjoying what I'm doing- this week I have gotten GREAT feedback from my boss. YEAH!! I am back in the groove now-feeling stronger and more confident. I love every person who comes through the doors of that gym- from the die-hards to the beginners.
Subbing has been tough as I go in and put a class through it's paces- often without prior time with them. I'm thankful for the well-rounded training I've had. Subbed for Muscle Conditioning class yesterday morning for one of the most kick-butt instructors. INTIMIDATING! I've taught strength classes before- no problem. However, during the entire hour, the class was very quiet. Usually, I get some who-hooos when they feel the burn, but I got nothing. Just kept leading out and sweating my tail off thinking, "Man, they're hatin' me", but after class 4 ladies came up and said, "Thanks- that was really awesome"! I was SO happy to hear that!! :o)

Tuesday after my Interval Cardio class a smiling older woman came up to me and said, "I really enjoyed your class. You got me sweatin' like crazy- my heart was really pounding. That was the most alive I have felt in the last 5 years since my husband died." She went on to tell me how her man Jackson died leaving her with 3 young boys to raise alone. I was able to listen, cry a little with her and encouraged her to come to class again. Sure enough, today Debbie was back! She's pretty rusty- her endurance level is low, but she works in the back with this big grin on her face the whole time.
Another client of interest is Gregory. He's such a great sport! You see, he lost a leg and walks with a prosthetic limb. He attends my Pilates class regularly to develop a stronger core and balance so he can get around better. THIS IS WHY I AM IN FITNESS. If I'm able- even in some small way to help someone live a better life, be healthier and know they are not alone, then my life is worth something...

(PS. Is anyone else having difficulty posting pictures to their blog? Can't seem to get any photos to display!)

3 comments:

Royce said...

Just went through a high rep snatch workout up here in Prescott ( 5500 feet, Phoenix is about 800 feet ) I was on the edge of that pukey feeling. I still have to adapt to the altitude.
Very cool about the dude in your Pilates class, very rewarding I am sure.

Gingers Mom said...

I'm with Lisa! I gotta get into shape~

Trailady said...

Lisa & Kristen, due to stress and lack of exercise, gained 30 lbs abd really chunked up over the course of 2 yrs. I'm fighting my way back now. Lost 18 lbs since Jan. I have hit a plateau now and can't seem to bust through it, but I'm gonna stick with it.

Royce, you are amazing! I remember a trip to CO for skiing. Keep in mind I was a highly trained college athlete/fitness professional who was preparing to run the Dallas 26K. Well, got to CO to ski. First morning there, I put on my running shoes to get some exercise. I walked to the end of the driveway and I was winded like a sissy! OK- what's up with that?!? I felt like such a wimp, then someone mentioned the altitude factor and I was relieved to know it wasn't me! You'll adjust to your new surroundings. I am SO proud of you guys for making a positive change for the sake of your family.