Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Passing Away...

Today my grandfather George Campbell was taken off life support. Both of his lungs are full of fluid now, so it's only a matter of minutes, hours or days.... I have written about this man in the past, so I won't go on and on. I am German/Irish on my father's side and Scotch/Irish on my mothers. I am from the Scotland clan known as the 'Fighting Campbells'- meaning my people long ago were warriors who defended their loved ones and territory with fierce passion. Some people mock me for being so interested in my heritage, but it's important to know who/where you came from. The past affects the future- whether we like it or not. The name Campbell means 'crooked mouth'- which refers to the slight pouty shape of our mouths as the corners of our mouth turn down. Both Grandpa & Great Grandpa had the tempers our family was so famous for, but they could also be quite warm and entertaining at times.

I have witnessed death & dying many times. I've experienced loss on many levels but I NEVER get used to it. Dying is part of life on this earth- but how it mocks us, pulling loved ones from our grasp. It's a difficult and helpless feeling to know that a part of you is dying and you are helpless to turn back the clock or change the eternal destination of a loved one. I do not understand my own sentimentalism. My sadness goes beyond the mere human level of feeling sorry because he is suffering and gasping for breath. I only knew my grandfather for 3 yrs, beyond that he was never in touch so why does it hurt so much? I loved him and in a way I'm proud to be part of him. Every time I look in the mirror, I see his big blue/gray eyes staring back at me. Grandpa George truly lived up to his heritage- he is a fighter. The last 20 yrs have plagued him with health problems. He was on the edge of death many times and we were afraid for him, but he pulled through. He is 86 and his passion for living is now overwhelmed by a tired mind and worn body. He is the last remaining blood Grandparent I have.
The most valuable lesson he modeled for me is to delight in simple things. He was a quiet, rugged man- a loner, with a simple house and farm in the country. He loved to fish, hunt and play pranks. Grandpa, I am thinking of you today. I hope to see you again in the Great Somewhere. May God, in His mercy, ease your passing...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Eldon Campbell
Sept. 4, 1920 - July 12, 2006
WWII Veteran, served in France, England, Germany
Medal of honor and Purple Heart recipient
Second son of George Walter Campbell & Lily A. Cowell
He was preceded in death by his parents. Also by his first wife, Verlene 1916-1961 who died of a massive stroke at the age of 47, and by older brother Cloyde and older sister Loretta.
He is survived by sister Margeret 90, brother Royce 84, 3 daughters, 4 step-children and numerous grandchildren & great grandchildren.
He passed away this afternoon while several members of his family surrounded his bed singing hymns.

12 comments:

Heidi said...

So sorry..Hugs to you~

Anonymous said...

Sadly, People die and if you have seen death sooo many times as you say then why do you pretend to be stunned when it happens? Your gpa was old why not be happy he had a long life! I never even knew mine. Your grandpa may not have been all warm and snuggly to you like you wanted, but at least you got to know him even for a short while.
You and your family are some of the most pathetic people I have ever known. You call yourself an optimist but I dont buy it. Your blog is totally depressing. You think you are so deep and artistic but its nauseating! (Take some meds and you will do better in life.) Like I said before instead of saying POOR ME all the time and wasting time blogging and bashing your church get a real job.

Kuan Gung said...

Well have you ever heard of Steve McDonald?

Trailady said...

Hi Kuan, No, I've never heard of Steve Mcdonald. Why??

Anonymous, I'm sorry life has turned you so hard. Your calloused remark deserves no other response.

Marcel said...

TL, I'm impressed with the old man's war credentials - Medal of honor and Purple Heart recipient? Awesome! I bet stories never ran out. Thanks for sharing a piece of his life. You will see him again soon.

::

Was that a mouse that just crawled by? Oh....my bad, it was just Anonymous.

BrainSyke said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grand father. I hope God most merficul has mercy upon his soul.

stay strong!

Deb said...

i am sorry for your loss dear...it's hard to loose those we love.

You and your family are in my prayers.

Deb said...

::::hear's "The Grinch who stole Christmas" theme playing while reading the comment posted by anonymous.:::::

anonymous...sadly people die.

deb...sadly some people seem to have no heart, no tact no room to say anyone other than him/herself is pathetic.

Did your mother never teach you not to say anything if you have nothing to add to the conversation?


If her blog depresses you so perhaps you should not read it.

Roseuvsharon said...

My Grandpa got married during the war, to the love of his life for more than 60 years. What he didn't realize was that he was no longer qualified to fly on the next mission with his buddies, who didn't return. The military said he now had a wife to take care of.

I'm so glad to hear of all the men and women who have given years of their lives and even gave their lives to protect our freedom.

I loved my Grandpa a lot, and it was sad to see him die, even though we all knew it was coming. Nothing wrong with expressing sorrow. Yes, there is hope, but it's okay to express sorrow.

Roseuvsharon said...

Anonymous -

I agree with Deb, if you don't like it, quit reading it. Have you ever noticed that you are whining about Trailady's blog? Get it? You who are sick of "whining" as you call it are doing the most whining of anybody.

Reality Check!

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry about your grandfather, Paula. I know this year has been...well, there's no apt description of what this year has been for you and your family.

I care about you; God bless.

Trailady said...

Hi There! Thanks for your support, Brian, Heidi, Marcel, Brainsyke, Deb, Rose, Tricia and Angel! :o)

Tricia, You are 100% correct about this being the year from Hell!! In fact, the last 3 years have been rotton. Selling our beautiful house, Moving, Bankruptcy, some serious false accusations, The deaths of 3 Grandfathers AND my Grandma Wolfe. Dealing with a Bi-polar relative for 2 of those years. My husband being fired was only the icing on the cake. So, it's a lot to process and this blog seems to be the best place where I can try to get myself together.

Anonymous, if you are trying to win me over to your way of thinking, you are failing miserably!