Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Blind Horse...

(Not sure who wrote this- it was an e-mail forward, but it really touched me so I wanted to share it:)

Just up the road from my home is a big field, with two horses in it. From a distance, each horse looks like any other horse. But if you stop by to observe, you will notice something quite amazing. Looking into the eyes of the bigger horse will disclose that he is completely blind. His caring owner has chosen not to have him put down, but has made a good home for him in lush pastures. This alone is a miracle...

If you stand nearby and listen, you hear the sound of a bell. Looking around for the source of the sound, you will see that it comes from a smaller horse in the field. Attached to the horse's halter is a small bell. It lets the blind friend know where the other horse is, so he can follow. As you stand and watch these two friends, you'll see that the horse with the bell is always checking on the blind horse, and the blind horse listens for the bell, then slowly walks to where the other horse is, trusting that he will not be led astray. When the horse with the bell returns to the shelter of the barn each evening, it stops occasionally, looking back, making sure the blind friend isn't too far behind.

Like the kind owners of these two horses, God does not throw us away because we are not perfect or when we have problems or challenges. He watches over us- even bringing others into our lives to help us when we are in need. Sometimes we are the helpless blind horse being guided by the ringing bells of those who God places in our lives. Other times we are like the guide-horse, helping others find the way home.
Good friends are like that... you may not always see them, but you know they are there. Please listen for my bell and I'll listen for yours.

Remember... be kinder than necessary - everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

10 comments:

Don said...

What a great story. I hope it encouraged you. I pray for you and your situation. Know that others love you as well as the Father.

chaplainroy said...

This story is perfect for a funeral that I am speaking at today in Texas. The deceased is a non-religious lady who worked for the police department. There will be many policemen present.

Thanks for posting such a great illustration of true "religion"

Trailady said...

Don, I thank you for your prayers and encouragement. I did find this story encouraging. I am looking forward to the day when I can be the helper instead of the one being helped all the time.

Chaplain, Thanks for stopping by 'My Journey'. Feel free to visit anytime. :o)

Geo said...

Hello,
I found you from my friend Bruce's site http://blog.ybmt.org/

Also saw that you are an adventist.
I was raised and went to the adventist school in Richmond,Va for the first seven years of my life. Some of my cousins are still adventist. Living in Richmond and some in Collegedale, Tn.

Welcome to life!

Peace
Geo

Roseuvsharon said...

You have rung your bell for me at times Trailady.

I remember a note of encouragement from you when we were desperately trying to hang on in New Mexico.

Thanks!

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

It is fun to read your blog and get an update on your life. Me and David of Truthinvestigate want to know how you do it. You do all this writing while taking care of 4 kids, a husband, your job and a small farm? Do you know that you are an amazing person?

Raheel Lakhani said...

Very inspring!

Trailady said...

Hello Geo! Thanks for stopping by. (Honestly, I'm not sure where I fit in with the big religious scene anymore.) I do know that I love God and want to be close to Him. However, there doesn't seem to be one set church that represents truth for me. All seem to be a bit off track- somehow majoring in minors- missing the point. I do believe in fellowship with other believers and visit many churches in my area. Amazingly, I keep meeting more and more people who feel the way I do. We have had church standing in check-out lines, at concerts and in parking lots- whenever we encounter one another. It's a God thing.

Hi Rose, Again, I'm glad if I was of help to you during your time of trial. We love you guys!

Gabrielle, I can only say that I am a very passionate person. We tend to make time for what's important. I do my blogging as part of my quiet time- helps me sort out what I'm learning. Also, my man is very helpful and we share responsibilities- otherwise I couldn't do what I do.

Raheel, Thanks for stopping by! :o)

Anonymous said...

you are a nice person
im pretty sure you have a big bell

Joan said...

This has been one of my very favorite stories. It is so moving!