Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bundles of Joy :o)

Well, after 4 years of waiting, saving and researching, I finally found both the breed and the breeder I wanted. My little 'Ember' is a Toy Poodle- she's finally home with me. She is as red as my hair. We drove up to get her and the breeder really liked us. When she saw that my oldest daughter had fallen in love with an Apricot colored pup, she basically gave us a second Poodle pup that day saying "pay as you are able". So YES, we have two pups running around the house and they are WONDERFUL!!! People can scoff all they want about little dogs, (which is rude to do in front of an enthusiastic owner) but they really are awesome! These dogs are super smart, very quiet, portable and cuddly. Pays to do research though- not all breeders are ethical and even some Poodles are wimpy, unhealthy yappers.

In the midst of all our trials, there have been some bright spots. Being involved with the musical last winter was great. Watching my adorable little 'neice' Emma last summer was fun. She's so cute! I had to stop watching her when my work schedule got busier. Now these little dogs are pure comic relief.

I have observed on more than one occasion how judgemental people can be toward those who struggle financially. Often rich people just cannot relate to those less fortunate and can be pretty harsh. A comment was made, "Why on earth do you spend money on things that are not neccessities?" To which I must ask, do we not deserve any joys in life? Our children are eating and well clothed. We do a lot to 'pay it forward' and help others, so why do people begrudge us the few small pleasures we do allow ourselves? I'm a Sanguine/Melancholy personality. I'm not afraid to pull my share of the load- I can work hard. But to me, life should be largely about building relationships, having fun and spending time with friends- I hate conflict and want everyone to get along. I'm not difficult to please- as simple things delight me. Love to spend time in my barn, with my kids and pets. I find great pleasure sitting at my piano and writing music- although recently life has frozen my creative vein in that respect. I may never be rich, but I do know how to have fun- owning pets is one way.

I want to say there have been some people this past 3 years who have reached out to us and I greatly appreciate them. My friend Kim and her family, Pastor Jerry, my blog friends. There have been some awkward attempts by some, but I do appreciate the gestures. At times I am guilty of allowing my pain to overshadow my blessings. There are many people out there who have worse to deal with. I am trying with everything I've got to find my joy again.

As I type this, Ember is laying in my lap, curled in a tiny little ball. She is so soft and warm. She melts me. I really needed this. The great thing about dogs is that no matter how badly other people may treat you, no matter what things go wrong or how your dreams may be broken, you are still a hero to them- it's reassuring. People can be fickle, friendships come and go, but a dog- now there's a loyal friend!

6 comments:

Roseuvsharon said...

My small children are terrified of the little yappy dogs that haven't been properly trained. Of course, having the little dogs jump on you uncontrollably and scratching up your face doesn't do much for the children.

I'm very glad that little Ember is going to be a good dog from a good home. We need more little dogs raised right!

You are so right about the comfort that dogs can give. I have benefitted many times from their unconditional love.

Qtpies7 said...

Oh, I wish I could get a little dog! I want a Pomeranian or a Shih Tzu. I just can't afford it, though, and my sweet husband who gets me everything I ever ask for is actually not willing to get me one, lol. Of course with 7 kids, 1 HUGE dog, 1 cat, 1 mean Love bird, and a tank of fish, who needs another dog??? Maybe when I get my act together again, lol. (being pregnant is not good for my house)
God bless,
qtpies7

Roseuvsharon said...

Yep.
God has a thousand ways, at least. I'm with you inheritor. I've been in places where I could only mouth the words of praise songs (extreme pain leaves you able to do very little) until God saw fit to lessen the pain and the feeling followed the faith, as you said.

Gingers Mom said...

OOOOH! Congrats on your new puppy!!

Trailady said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone!

Yes, Inheritor, I believe God speaks most strongly to me through simple things. Deer, plants, children. My prayer is that I don't get too hard or sophisticated to listen with my heart.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I still put my money on cats. Cats are where it's ats.