Sunday, October 08, 2006

Finding the Trail...

Part of my job every summer as a trail guide was to clear trails. It didn't matter if they were well used or not- all needed clearing at the start of every season. So, arming myself with a hack-saw, sharp machete, small shovel and a hachet I set to work clearing trails we would eventually ride on horseback. I needed to make sure there were no bees nests in the ground or on branches overhead. Even one bee-sting can be disastrous to a string of horses on a trail ride! I moved big rocks, filled holes, cleared fallen branches and grasping thorns that would catch people's tack, hair and clothing. A clear trail should be at least 6 ft wide. This was hard work- especially when there were trees or limbs to saw. Sometimes I would only get so far before calling for back-up with a chainsaw. It was hot and exhausting, but I was happy to do it because I knew it would be worth it when we hit the trail. Sometimes it took several days, but eventually I had opened a clear course to ride through the mountain and valley. The effort was always worth it for the joy of traveling together and taking in the beauty of nature with my riders. I had church everyday out there under the blue sky! The people I was leading trusted me and I cared about every one of them. They called me 'Trailady' and would listen carefully to whatever I suggested for their safety and enjoyment. As I turned my horse out of the corral gate at the start of a ride, I would always say, "Follow me to paradise". All of my riders came through safely each year. I wonder if they even gave a thought or ever felt grateful for whoever cleared the trail. Probably not and that's okay- they simply enjoyed the ride and that was my goal.

I believe that long ago, God sent a Guide to clear a trail for us. Now, He had sent other guides who tried to blaze the trail, but few people would listen to them. Some were in a rut, going down a well-used path, rarely even giving a thought to God, while others were constantly sweating and hacking away branches trying to clear their own narrow trails in an attempt to reach Him. Some tried to plow and weave through uncut trails until their horses were lame or they got stuck in the brambles. There were many trails with dead ends and no turn-arounds. So finally, Jesus Christ came and cleared a path for us. He's a great Trail Boss! He simply mounts up, opens the gate and says, "Follow Me". He doesn't force anyone to ride if they don't want to. He never goes faster than an inexperienced rider is able to go. He's the first to go over and around obstacles to show us how. When I balk at any river-crossing, He stands on the other side patiently encouraging me. He never gets frustrated or takes off without me, leaving me to find my own way. He truly cares about me and is a calm presence in the face of emergency- He always knows what to do to fix a problem. I love this Guide and with all my heart, I want to follow His trail...

3 comments:

Chad Borges said...

I think you just wrote the answer to your "Restless..." conundrum of Oct. 5... but I suspect you're already figuring that out!

Your fellow follower of the Great Guide,
Chad Borges

Don said...

What a great post and a wonderful metaphor. Outstanding thoughts....

Trailady said...

Thanks guys! I really think God put me out there in the dirt for a good reason. I learned so much about God from my time with horses!

Someday I would like to write a book about it... I would call it 'Sermons from the Mount'. Get it?