Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My Every-day Heroes!

I remember back in grade school, I was asked to make a list of my heroes and tell why I looked up to them. I sat there wracking my brain, but near the end of class I had a blank sheet of paper, while other kids were getting up to read theirs. Many of them listed their parents, sports figures, actors and politicians. Having suffered some emotional/spiritual traumas, I was highly disenchanted with the world at the time- very low point in my life. I had NO idea who I would list. Teacher warned that a blank paper would bring me a zero, so I quickly wrote about Jane Goodall & Lucille Ball. I got a good grade, but you should have seen my teachers face when I said who my heroes were! ha ha ha

Times have changed! Now there are many people with qualities I admire- however, I understand that ANYONE is capable of letting me down, so I still don't hero worship anyone. I have listed my more famous heroes on this blog in the past. Recently, I have added a whole new line of heroes to my list. I call them my 'every-day heroes'. You see, every day while I'm working the Front Desk at the YMCA, a constant stream of people go by. My job is an interesting one- we get ALL kinds! Some are sweet, some are visibly impatient but tolerant, while others are outright rude to us- as if we were put on the planet to wait on them hand and foot and answer any & all questions they may have as to the programs, schedules, finances and inner-workings of our organization. We get the strangest inquiries, but if we don't have an answer in 5 seconds flat, we may get pounced on.
As I watch people go by, I notice them, try to learn their names and welcome them. Bradley Hospital has a rehab center in our YMCA. Since I started working at this 'Y' I have come to respect the following people: (I will not list last names)

Chris, age 17- Had everything going for him. Young, handsome, great personality, athletic. Then a car accident nearly took his life. He comes in with a walker or arm braces, barely walking and his mother is always there supporting him to prevent a fall. He is still very bright, but his speech is quite slow. You can see the mark at the base of his throat where Paramedics did an emergency tracheotomy to help him breath. But none of this has stopped Chris from smiling. He has impeccable manners and a winning spirit. He's come a loooong way and I think his good attitude will carry him further still. Last week he fell and hit his face which resulted in a BIG shiner. He just jokes about it and keeps going. Having had several accidents and recoveries myself, I know how hard it is to come back from head trauma and injuries and mine weren't nearly as bad as his. This kid has the heart of a lion!

Martha- I've mentioned this elderly YMCA regular before. Today, she showed up wearing a T-shirt that says, "Granny's Rock"! Martha doesn't sit around feeling sorry for herself or wallowing in loneliness- she is still 100% ALIVE. You GO girl!!
I want to be like Martha when I'm old.

George- He worked for the government and while swimming offshore near Hawaii, he was attacked by a large shark that took his left leg from mid-thigh down. He walks with a cane and a prosthetic leg, but it doesn't stop him from swimming, walking the treadmill and doing Pilates. George is funny and cheerful. I'm always glad to see him coming because you know he's going to brighten your day!

Jessica- She works as a LifeGuard at the YMCA. This is "Friends Month" at our facility. Any member can bring a friend or relative to try out our branch. Just this past week, Jessica very skillfully and tactfully handled unusual and awkward "situations". First, a 5 yr old child used the overflow gutter around the pool as a toilet and made some "deposits". Clean up is never fun when that happens! Then a visitor from Japan, emerged from the Women's locker room completely naked and proceded to walk a leisurely lap around the pool complex, then she went to sit in the hot tub with some very stunned members. The smiling woman barely spoke a word of Engrish, but Jessica brought her a towel and somehow persuaded her to return to the locker room and obtain some clothing! The Japanese woman was still smiling when she left the 'Y' over an hour later, so she was neither embarassed or insulted. Good job, Jessica!!

Elizabeth- stood calmly while being cussed out by an enraged patron and his mother because he was asked to move to a different treadmill when his 30 minutes were up. They were asked to leave by male staff and obliged, but came back the next day to cancel their memberships. Oh well...

Isn't life interesting?! Some face adversity and soon fall into despair. Others draw from some hidden strength and make the best of it. Inspiring!! Are there every-day heroes in your life??

4 comments:

Sam!! said...

U got really an impressive list of heroes, who really deserve to be. Chris, that young guy inspired ,me too.

Well to be honest i dnt have any as such list of heroes but small small acts of others in routine life really inspires me and make me learn something from it.Plus one other thing that i beleive sis is that in life we all do something special that makes us hero may b just for a time being in the eye of others.

Hope u doing fine there.

Takecare

Trailady said...

Hi Samrina, I agree with you whole-heartedly. We are doing okay here, things are getting better. :o) Bless you!

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Great list of heroes.

Tim Rice said...

Trailady, I like your heroes. They are heroes indeed and an encouragement to me through your sharing. I think one of my heroes is a lady who freely and joyfully gives much of her time to the junior youth of our church.