Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Hearts of Stone...

We are born soft and sweet, but after life beats us up and we experience rejection, we become hard. I've seen this happen many times. For instance, most dogs are born affectionate and playful by nature. If a puppy is abused, teased, abandoned or neglected, eventually he will be mean. A horse is willing to cooperate with it's trainer- unless he/she is cruel, unreasonable & inconsistent with rewards. Likewise, a sweet-natured child can end up angry, bitter and rebellious after mistreatment. Kids are clumsy, but they love to delight & be delighted! A simple hug or kind word goes a long way. Never ceases to amaze me how a small gesture will thrill a child! They live to please. If they're constantly frowned upon and rarely encouraged, their little hearts harden and they give up trying. Adults are very similar and though physically we are more graceful, we remain clumsy in matters of the soul.

We're afraid to dance for our Father because shackles are all we've ever known. We fear invoking His wrath so much that we deny His Love. Few know what freedom or forgiveness really mean. Painfully aware of failures without realizing our worth, we find the only way to feel better is to point the finger of blame at others, picking out their flaws. We are a dysfunctional family here on earth. Is it any wonder so few are interested in our religion??

Enjoyment can be found in simple, innocent things, but only when a heart has changed. The heart of stone is numb and must be heavily-stimulated in order to feel any pleasure at all. It takes loud music, fast times and strong drink- I know what it's like to be numb- I was there. God promises to give us a heart of flesh. It's a full heart transplant and it takes awhile. We should never judge- we don't know where in that process someone is. I still have rough edges, but for the first time in my life, I feel God smiling down on me. Not because I'm perfect, simply because I am His child.

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you, I will take your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh..." Ezekiel 36:26

3 comments:

Aiman said...

I especially like the lines: "Adults are very similar and though physically we are more graceful, we remain clumsy in matters of the soul." How true! We are all born pure but we absorb Thought, Shame, sometimes Wisdom but also things that are not worthy of merit. The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, once said that man comes between angels and animals. If we give in to wrong when we shouldn't, we are worse than animals. But if we resist those impulses, we are better than angels!

Gingers Mom said...

That really gets me thinking about trying hard to build up my kids more often. Lately it feels like I am on them all the time for beign naughty and not taking enough to tell them how special they are to me. They are precious little creatures and need to hear that more than anything.

Trailady said...

Amen, sister! We need to affirm people more- especially our children.