Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What Lights You Up?

My husband recently told me about a speaker who explained that each of us have 5 things about our life experience called "sweet spots". These are activities/experiences that light you up, make you feel more alive when you are involved with them. He then recommends that you build your career around one of these or a combination of several in order to find maximum fulfillness in this life. I've always said "You can't pay me enough to do something I don't enjoy", so this man's philosophy suits me just fine! Well, it got me to thinking about what I most enjoy in life and find rewarding, so here are my top 5 passions:

1) God/Family/Friendships
2) Art & Music
3) Writing Songs, Articles & Poetry
4) Fitness/Health
5) Nature/Animals

Alas, the perfect job for me has already passed me by I'm afraid! I spent 11 years working at Christian summer camps. Loved every minute of it!! The job combined everything I enjoy and can do reasonably well. I loved leading songs and doing skits at campfire, teaching leathercraft & ceramics, swimming, canoeing, running all over the place with the girls in my cabin and best of all leading trail rides & teaching riding lessons. It's the time of year where I get the urge to go apply for camp work, but my adult responsibilities keep me from doing so now. How I enjoyed that time in my life and who knows, maybe after my children are gone, I can return to camp work someday??

What 5 things in life light YOU up??

7 comments:

Raj said...

Top 5 :)well this is tough considering i'm passionate abt everything i do,but yes my bare needs are :)
Love,Friendship,Dancing,Sailing,Music

Trailady said...

That's cool Raj! Are you able to work in a career that involves these things?

Raj said...

Yup it was an ambition to sail,so doing that loving it,making friends all over the world,dancing my way through life and singing "life is a roller coaster just got to ride it :)"

Fallen Angel said...

Music,
sensuality/sex,
babies/kids,
art/writing,
nature/animals

I am pretty fulfilled in my job, get to do some of my passions (Labor and Delivery Nurse). I do have some regrets though. I miss my music. Sometimes wonder what other things I might have done well, and sometimes seriously plan on completely changing careers.
Overall really like my job though. I think you would be a great camp counselor. Just do it. Don't let life get in the way of life. If its not totally attainable because of kids and stuff, which I completely understand, find a way of doing it partially. I'm going to. It is taking some planning and some time, but I will do it. Won't ever give up nursing totally, but there is something else I really want to do. And I will. Life is to short. Have No Regrets.

Sam!! said...

Top 5 passions of my life are:

1. God
2. Family n friends
3. My work n studies
4. Writting Poetries n articles
5. Nature

almost same as urs but dnt think i copied haan, its all true :) :)

Takecare.

Id it is said...

family
reading
music
crosswords
friends
...in that order

Asma said...

My top 5 passions are:

God/Family
Being with real friend
Doing something good without telling others
Books
Bring smile on other faces