Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Totally Awkward Moment!

Today was shopping day! I sat for lunch with my two little girls eating a yummy 7-layer burrito from Taco Bell. Then in came a young mother with a baby boy who sat down beside us. The baby was a cute little thing- only weeks old. The mother looked nervous- no more than 17 years old. She sat down, but didn't order anything. The baby slept. Then, in comes an older man tattoed from the neck down & wearing biker leathers. He looked menacing and glared as he walked in- obviously NOT happy to be there. To my surprise, he came and sat with his back to us, joining the young mother & baby. The girls face lit up when he first came in, but after several minutes of intense talk and some sad glances from the mother toward the sleeping baby, the biker got up suddenly to go order. The look in the mother's eyes was hollow and hopeless as she slumped in her seat. Based on the body language & snippets of the conversation, this guy is the father of the baby and isn't too thrilled about it either. Now, I'm a peaceful person- I want to promote understanding on this blog, but when the biker came back and sat down, he removed his leather jacket to reveal a leather vest full of ugly NAZI insignia and slogans. I was amazed at the anger that suddenly welled up in me! Yes, I believe in freedom of speech, but several of my relatives fought & died in order to defeat the NAZI invaders. Pictures of holocaust victims still haunt my nightmares. I couldn't help but wonder if this man had considered where the hate rhetoric he embraced would ultimately lead? I wondered how the black people working in the restaurant felt when they saw him walk by. The man only ordered food for himself and sat there eating while the young girl made several pleas, but they seemed to fall on deaf ears. I felt embarassed sitting right beside them while they were having this intense emotional interlude. I kept trying to get my girls to hurry up so we could go. I didn't want to see anymore, I wanted to get away from there because I did not like the way I felt inside. The NAZI spider & lightening bolts drew an immediate reaction from me- very disturbing! I don't hate anyone. (not even neo-nazi's) But I detest racism!! White supremacy- HA! If we whites were soooo supreme, we'd have less problems and a lot more answers. Truth is, we ALL need each other in this life. The Japanese have something wonderful to contribute to my worldview as do Mexicans, Arabs, Africans, etc. Well, the "Mommy" side of me wanted to walk over, thump the biker guy upside the head and say, "Get a life, Junior and take some responsibility!" Poor girl! Poor baby. Poor angry man. What kind of childhood or incident drove him to his philosophy? I bet he's a lonely guy. If he did stick around, what would his little boy grow up like? Most likely he would be taught to hate from the time he could sit up? I'm not even sure WHY I'm writing about this... Still feel upset when I think about it. So, yes I'm human too and I still have challenges to overcome. Every now and then the little spitfire inside gets the best of me.

8 comments:

Raheel Lakhani said...

It sounds disturbing!! I can't say anything more :(

Sam!! said...

Sad n depressing :( :(

Dnt know wat to do with these sort of heartless, selfish people...

U r a sensitive person thats y it makes u upset n thats y u wrote it all here.

Takecare

Gingers Mom said...

Jesus got angry too. Remember that. Nothing wrong with being angered by another person's hatred. I feel very sorry for that young girl and her baby.

David said...

Love is justice with mercy. Justice with mercy is love.

Tim Rice said...

That is a sad story. I think your anger was justified. The hard part is that we wish we could remedify situations like these. This makes me long for the kingdom of God to be restored on earth.

Aiman said...

May God bless and protect the family!

AJ ! Serendipity !!! said...

hell yeah
but then the world is all about perspectives isnt it ?
Hmm. Peace of Mind is a rare commodity isnt it ?

sara said...

MAY PEACE BE UPON YOUR SOULS, HEARTS, MINDS,AND BODIES...AMEN.

Well, in the Holy Qur'an, the Lord Almighty says:
"GOD never burdens a soul beyond its means: to its credit is what it earns, and against it is what it commits. "Our Lord, do not condemn us if we forget or make mistakes. Our Lord, and protect us from blaspheming against You, like those before us have done. Our Lord, protect us from sinning until it becomes too late for us to repent. Pardon us and forgive us. You are our Lord and Master. Grant us victory over the disbelieving people."
[2:286]
So GOD never burdens a soul beyond its means: to its credit is what it earns, and against it is what it commits. THATS A RULE...
EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE OF THEIR OWN DEEDS...
KISSES AND HUGS TO YOUR LI'L GIRLS, AND MAY THE LORD SAVE US FORM THE HARDSHIPS AND OBSTACLES OF THIS LIFE...AMEN.