Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Wounds that Never Heal?

For those of you who still haven't seen this movie, it's a GREAT allegory! The symbolisms are not as easy to grasp as those of 'Pilgrim's Progress' or 'Chronicles of Narnia', but I have been so blessed by this story. Not only is it a good tale- there is powerful symbolism in the trilogy. The Ring of power represents the machine of sin and death. The Elves are the unfallen angels, while the Orcs are the fallen angels and the workers of devastation upon middle earth. Most of the good male characters in the story represent different aspects of Jesus Christ. Gandolph the Grey becomes Gandolph the White after dying to save his friends and being resurrected. Aragorn represents Christ as King. Gollum is the Judas character while Samwise is John the beloved. The whole premise is that Frodo the Hobbit accepts the task of carrying the Ring (sin & death) up the side of Mt. Doom (Calvary) and breaking it's power by casting it in the lake of fire. In pursuing this mission, Frodo is constantly being tempted to use the Ring's power for himself and is harrassed by the forces of evil. In the scene pictured here, he is pierced by the sharp blade of a Ring Raeth. So terrible is the wound he receives, it will never completely heal as long as he lives...

If you have read my writings for any length of time, you know I try to view the world with a positive spin. I believe in healing. However, I have some wounds that will probably never go away until the day I die or the end of the age- whichever comes first. There are some griefs that are felt for a lifetime. I mourn the two babies who were lost to me before they were ever born. I also mourn the loss of my family early on. My heart was completely broken and the complications from that devastation still haunt me. Last night an interaction occured that brought the pain back in living color. Amazing how a converstion can be so hurtful! Once again, I was a lost little girl, shaking inside. This took me by surprise as I like to think I've made great progress in leaving the past behind. Memories can never be erased. The past is never completely forgotten. It can be ignored, but it's still there- waiting in the shadows of the mind to jump out when you least expect it and throw you on your face. That was the case for me last night. I've not cried so hard in many years. Today, I feel cleansed somewhat and ready to keep moving forward. One thing is certain, there are people in this world who will only ever have a toxic influence in your life. Some work their poison in your spirit, abuse your person, shred your heart. Unfortunately, some are capable of attacking you on all fronts at the same time. I find many are clueless as to the negative force they are. In this case, it's healthy to draw boundaries and cleanse your life of such influences. This is difficult for a heart that loves to do, but very neccessary. When you've done everything humanly possible to make things better and fail utterly, shake the dust from your feet and walk away. YES, Trailady is movin' on...

9 comments:

Roseuvsharon said...

Tears are the windshield wipers of the soul.

That's one of the only consolations for being back into the hurt and pain and the tears flowing freely. I feel for you.

It's true that some hurts never truly die. It is painful when people choose to bring them back again.

Glad you are moving on and glad that you are an inspiration to all of us!

Kev said...

my mother had 4 miscarriages...then she adopted my oldest brother and then boom - bang - pow. she gave birth to 3 sons. what a struggle that must be.

We are all like gold being tried in the fire of life. When we come out...we shall be purified.

Aiman said...

Sister, every creature is hurt. But those who feel hurt more than others like you are the ones who really understand this world. Pain makes a human deeper, which I believe you are.

David said...

"He knoweth the way that I take, and when I am tried, I shall come forth as gold." -Job

gmc said...

dear,
in islam, there's a word saying "everytime you've been hurt, it was for your health".
that means only one thing: the hurt an suffering appear only when you are not looking straight in the eyes of what can be consider as real at the place where you stand. if you were not looking at with a straight look, you are hurted or in pain, that's all.
everything is in that sentence "if all is One, who am I?"; ask yourself this question and try to find the only answer that can be given to.

ps: not one physician can prove the reality of time, now they've discovered - with much difficulties to explain it- the contrary; what is called the end of age is the moment when you realize in the depth of you that time does not exist.
(if you find those words disturbing, don't hesitate to tell it)

Trailady said...

Good thoughts, everyone! Thanks for reading. :o)

Nabeel said...

but how do you come up with this symbolism .. that orcs are the fallen angels, hobbits are the unfallen angels, ring it the machine of death?

time heals everything .. (ofcourse time is the last option .. if a wound can't be healed with love, then one should know that there's time .. the perfect healer)

Trailady said...

Hi Nabeel, The Elves (not hobbits) are the unfallen angels. This comes from commentary on the film and from Tolkien himself. Look on the web for the symbolism- you will surely find it. I'll try and post a URL for a good site about the symbolism in the rings trilogy. There was a chat room for some time on this topic, but I see it has been taken down- perhaps because the trilogy has been out for some time now...

Cinderella said...

Wow some symbolism it was !!
LOTR is one my faves but never really saw it in that way.
Hardships are for those who can face them,for others they're roadblocks that cant be crossed and a detour has to be done.
I feel you're going thru a hardship,right?