Monday, April 10, 2006

So Adorable!

Okay, I've always had big dogs and I love them- especially when my husband is away on a trip. I just feel safer having a sizeable dog with a big bark around. Recently, our Yellow Lab mix (who never liked to stick around) left one night and never came back. So we're down to one dog again. Zephyr is sad & lonely without any canine playmate, so the kids and I want to get a puppy. I've done a lot of rescue/rehab work with dogs over the years. They always come to me at least a year old and with plenty of bad habits for me to train out of them. I want a fresh start with a little pup that I can train and socialize as I see fit. FINALLY made contact with two breeders in TN. One breeds Toy Poodles, while the other breeds Miniature Poodles. I want a poodle because they come in a wide variety of colors, they don't shed, have virtually no odor and are highly intelligent. Also, after so many years of having big dogs, it would be nice to have a lap dog. Isn't the cream-colored puppy in the picture cute? I think so! I'd like to get a little female that is either black, blue, brown- or even red to match my hair. A lot of people scoff at small dogs, but there are many advantages to owning one. They travel easily, their messes are smaller, they eat less, require less space, are easier to handle & pick up. I like Poodles over other small breeds because they're easy to train and aren't a shivery bundle of nerves. Many people view the Poodle as a "fru-fru", wimpy dog for high society or retirees only and are quite surprised to find the hearty Poodle was originally bred in Germany (not France) as a Gun Dog to retrieve game from the water. The funny looking pom-pom cut that many Poodles wear actually had a purpose. It kept the dog warm & bouyant in the water. Though they are rarely used for retrieving today, several canine encyclopedias still list them in the 'Gun Dog' category, though most now place them in the 'Non-sporting' category. The Poodle breed is happy, outgoing, versatile and courageous. So here's hoping sometime this summer I'll be able to adopt one. :o) My birthday is in June- we'll see what happens.....

1 comment:

Gingers Mom said...

I've never really liked small dogs myself. Except pugs. I just love their little smooshed faces. I am sorry to hear about your dog. That is really sad. I hope you enjoy getting a new puppy. That is always a great feeling.