Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Chasing Symptoms...

Watch TV for any length of time and you will see a whole bunch of commercials for meds. It gets ridiculous! Let's see, there's a pill for heartburn, impotence, gas, constipation, depression, belly-fat, headaches, arthritis, diahrea, sleeplessness, etc. Now some of us have legitimate problems and I'm glad there are ways to get temporary relief. However, as I watched I realized that we humans tend to focus on treating symptoms. As a health professional, I know that a lot of the problems we experience are due to high-stress, poor diets and low-activity lifestyles. For example, have sleep problems? 20-30 minutes of exercise a day can help. Overweight? Find an enjoyable activity and burn some calories. Constipated? Not trying to be gross here, but studys show that regular exercise helps things get moving again. Now exercise is NOT a cure-all, but it really can help alleviate many symptoms- virtually anyone can get their heart pumping. So, instead of constantly chasing symptoms with a pill, why not work to cure the problem??

I find it to be the same in the spiritual life. We see symptoms. (Anybody with half a brain can recognize them and fingerpoint.) Christ had the ability to see beyond the symptomatic behavior to the root cause. The origin of most undesirable behaviors is a feeling of rejection, guilt, failure, negative voices in our heads, etc. To soothe or escape feelings of worthlessness and emptiness, we turn to habits or substances that we find comforting. Some turn to food, others turn to sex or drugs, etc. Jesus knew that when people come to realize how much they are loved- a lot of these things will fall away. So, He set out to accept people where they were and help them find meaning.

Here's a quiz- see how you do:

1) You've just learned that a young adult in your church smokes pot & drinks, you:
A) avoid them at all costs- wouldn't want to be around a BAD influence after all. Besides, it's your duty to spread the word so nobody else in the church will come in contact with that person and automatically start drinking too...
B) give him/her a phone call just out of the blue to offer wise counsel and some Bible texts you think might help.
C) smile whenever you see this person. Look for opportunities to befriend them and be available to listen if given the chance.
D) tisk, tisk with everyone else, but secretly feel glad to know you aren't the only one who enjoys weed now & then.

2) A man in your church, you've recently befriended confesses that he's having an affair, you:
A) call his wife immediately to inform her of her husband's indescretion. Hold emergency prayer meeting where all the dirty details are discussed and pray really hard for him.
B) listen to him. Ask some thought-provoking questions. Offer to pray with/for him. Then recommend someone he can talk to for help sorting it all out.
C) hold a Board meeting and vote to have him kicked out of the church ASAP.
D) tell him he's a total womanizer- that he's brought shame upon his family & the church and he'll never live it down.

3) A Teenager in the Youth Group is Pregnant, You:
A) tell her she has ruined her life and is now obligated to marry the father and "make things right".
B) corner her, tell her how shocked you are at her naughty behavior. Tell her she should be ashamed because she was raised better than that, then turn on your heel and walk away. Make her feel reeeeally bad so she'll never do THAT again!
C) smile when you see her, offer a hug. Ask how she's doing. Let her know that if she's ever feeling scared and wants to talk or if she needs anything, you will be happy to help. Tell her that God loves her and the baby she's carrying.
D) have heated words with her parents, pull your kids out of youth group and don't ever let your kids hang out with her again.

These were real scenarios & real reactions I have seen. How would you choose?? Before any of us say, "I'd do what Jesus would do" maybe it's a good idea to read up on Him so we REALLY have a clue how He would respond. He didn't go around chasing symptoms. Don't think Jesus would see a pot-head, a jerk and a whore in these stories. He would look beyond the symptom to the real source of the problem. Fact: People often do drugs to escape a reality that is too painful to bear- find out what's going on. Sometimes men have affairs during mid-life crisis or when they feel empty inside. Maybe this man is not appreciated or treated well at home? Many teenagers get pregnant because they are desperate for attention- girls with no father around are especially vulnerable. NOT making excuses for poor behavior here, but maybe we should think a little more before pouncing? Many Church-goers live sheltered lives and are NOT QUALIFIED to be going around giving advice to people who have been used/abused out in the world. Sister Christian doesn't know what to say, because she's never been there!
For example: Life-long, upper-middle-class Christians have NO CLUE what life in the ghetto is like, and are probably not really qualified to help someone get out of a gang or get off drugs, but they can still be a friend.

People make mistakes. God knows I make my share! I've been pounced on- yes- but I've also jumped on a few people... I remember back in my ultra-strict days lecturing a man for spending money on a TV. I tried very hard to convince several ladies they were out of line for wearing pants and eating eggs & cheese too. Oh yes, that was me- I had my act together and I was out to set everybody else straight. Looking back, I see that most of my self-destructive behaviors (eating disorder, legalism, etc.) were simply because I didn't feel loved, secure or valued. Now that I feel more connected with God, I don't have as many deep-seated control issues- I'm not starving/binging/purging anymore and I don't feel the need to go around correcting others. I am finding The Cure.... or should I say The Cure is finding me?

4 comments:

David said...

Its in the real life scenarios that we tell who's who in the book of life. When the pedal meets the metal the real disciples stand up. I'm sorry for those who have been raped by the religious gestapoes. Whenever Christ's brothers did that, He would quietly come behind them and make the victim feel better or place his scanty meal in his or her lap. But I believe that His constant prayer for His brothers and later for the Pharisees was, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

Living in a denominational ghetto isn't all its cracked up to be. Its kind of like living in Nazareth, proud namesake of the nazarites.

Trailady said...

Hey Brian! I'm just a lady on a journey. I guess, most of all I want people to know that they are loved. All of us mess up, so it helps to feel connected to a God who understands me. Some of my secular friends feel I use God as a crutch and that's okay- they have a right to their opinions. For years I thought God was just a figment of my own imagination. However, I can't deny that there is a Higher Power. Something out there is speaking to my heart.

Inheritor, I'm glad the young girl kept her baby and is finding willing arms to hold her little one. Not all churches act the same. There are some churches where the people aren't afraid to be real with each other and drop the facades of having reached "supreme holiness". However, these havens are few and far between. Human issues are never cut & dried easy to deal with, but the correct answers in the quiz represent how I feel Jesus would respond. :o)

Hi David, your words are so true!

Lily, Soooo sorry to hear that your efforts to reach out to a hurting soul were thwarted by some less-than-loving treatment from the church. Tragic! However, I do know that God will never give up on your friend... He will keep calling her name. I know this because He didn't give up on me.

"Jesus is the drug to end all drugs. He is the love to surpass all love. He is the Father to the Fatherless. He loves the people that society (or the church) call unlovable."

AWESOME words! Gotta love it!!!!

bruced said...

Very nice. I will look forward to getting to know you!

Hey, my wife is also a Scottish/German redhead who loves music. You're not her are you?

hehehe

Trailady said...

Hi Bruce, Thanks for stopping by. That's an amazing coincidence- eh?!