Monday, September 25, 2006

Still Learning!

There is a woman I've met recently that I much admire. I guess she is somewhere in her late 70's- early 80's. She is brilliant and her gray eyes still sparkle. Despite many years of struggle on this earth- including the loss of her youngest son in Vietnam and having lived alone for 22 yrs after the passing of her beloved husband, she remains open-hearted and soft of spirit. She refused to remarry and still wears the ring her husband placed on her finger when they said their vows. She says she's content living alone with her little dogs, because a love like they had only comes along once. She is part of the 'Red Hat Society', remains active on the hospitality committee of her Methodist church, is well-read and able to converse on just about any topic. Her favorite thing to talk about is God. She attends the YMCA, exercising faithfully when many people her age give in to their aches and pains and quit moving. Though she has battled Osteoporosis and has a slightly stooped back, she has the agility of someone half her age!

When I met her, there was an immediate connection between us. She just looked at me with this knowing glance and smiled. She is the dearest, most devoted lady- I just want to hug her and kiss her cheeks. (I'm afraid to come across as sappy and scare her off- so I pat her shoulder instead) She is so different- I just want to get to know her better. I have met few people like her. One day I asked, "How do you stay so young at heart and optimistic? How do you stay so enthusiastic and current on things?" She gave me a warm smile that intensified the creases around her eyes and said, "Well, I just keep learning. I don't have all the answers- nobody does, child. Stay teachable and pliable and make the most of every day. Most of all, walk humbly with the good Lord- He will never lead you down the wrong path".

I feel like I could confess anything to her or ask any question and not be dismissed or fall under judgement. Guess I am drawn to the elderly since I wasn't able to have a close relationship with any of my Grandparents and they are all gone now. I feel a longing to connect with someone that age. The older generation is so often an untapped resource of wisdom. Society tends to write them off and many become bitter and despondant, but not Martha.

I love this dear lady and believe she has tapped into great wisdom. Meeting people like her marks important milestones in my journey. They encourage me to keep seeking truth, to keep asking questions and to keep praying.

God, don't ever let me be satisfied to think that I have all the answers. Shake me, move me forward... when we stop learning, we die.

2 comments:

Jody said...

That is encouraging. I love meeting elderly people who still rely on the Lord and have not grown bitter by life's experiences!

Roseuvsharon said...

AMEN!