Monday, September 18, 2006

It's My Favorite Season!

Autumn is the best time of year- in my opinion. I love the cool, crisp freshness in the air. The bugs go away and I feel so alive when the temperature drops. I enjoy hearing the geese as they fly overhead in a V formation. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. The animals even act differently. Instead of laying down lazily in the fields, the cows and goats are up and about kicking up their heels. The chickens are happier and more active in the yard.

The Dogwood trees in our yard are beginning to change colors already. We are gathering firewood so we can enjoy quiet evenings by the fireplace again this year.

I've always been more of a cold weather girl than a Summer lover. With my fair skin, I'm not into baking in the sun. I do much better in chilly climates with long sleeves & pants on. As a child, Fall was always exciting because it meant the holidays and snow would soon follow. Well, we don't get much snow here in TN, but I am praying for at least several inches that will stick around long enough so we can make good use of our big sledding hill. The kids would love it! Had our hopes up last year, but only got a light dusting.

Jay & I dream of someday retiring in Montana or Wyoming. We really don't need much, just a simple house with wood heat, a guest bedroom and some acreage on which to recreate. Since we both love cold weather, wildlife and fresh air, it would suit us. It's not that we want solitude, we'd probably live near a town to maintain a social element. Life is just different and slower in big sky country. Every time we have passed through the area, we both feel it's where we're meant to be someday. We'll see...

In the meantime, I'm trying to make the most of my time in TN. :o) If you could live anywhere in the world- where would you be and why??

9 comments:

Jody said...

I love Autumn! It's probably my favorite, too! I get so happy and cuddly inside. I love Autumn in Idaho because all of the trees change color and it's beautiful. Here in California we don't see a lot of trees turn because we have so many dang palms and evergreens. I feel like i miss out a lot on fall here :(

Trailady said...

Yes, I hear you on that! I would miss seeing the fall colors if I lived in California, Florida or Hawaii. Falls in TN are some of the loveliest and longest-lasting in the US.

billie said...

fellow autumn lover here too!! i would live in maine. it is beautiful and rural and the coast is just so different. it isn't heavily populated and the people are independent but friendly. i would love to move there someday.

Gingers Mom said...

I feel the same way about Autumn. Love it! I wish it would cool off here so I could bundle up in a big cozy sweater....
Thanks for the comment you left on my blog. I really really needed that today. Your advice and wisdom are precious to me. Thank you.

Royce said...

I could not agree more on the season.
I am a fair skinned fella myself and can get burned taking a car ride!!
I love the clothes, the turning leaves, the cold fog, the rain, pumkin pie ect all of it!!

Living anywhere in the world huh??
Let me see ther are a few places. Portugal, for the food and Port.
Amserdam for the lifestyle.
The mediteranian for the food, bueaty, laid back attitude.
Arcata in NorCal here in the US for the ease of living.

bruced said...

I love fall too. Every time I think about how we might be moving to Florida soon, the first thing I think of is missing fall. But, I guess I love the seashore more than I love the Fall, so Florida will be nice.

I think we'll end up in the Daytona area, and right now, that's where I'd like to live in the world the most. I'll have to learn to live with sand in my butt-crack! hahaha

Roseuvsharon said...

Autumn is definitely beautiful! I like what Jody said about getting cuddly inside. Ditto!

To answer your question, here on planet Earth, I'd like to be somewhere that doesn't get too hot and doesn't get too cold. More importantly, I'd like to be somewhere that my family is happy and healthy and productive in our community. To me, it doesn't matter where as long as it meets those conditions. Having my husband be happy in his work would be a big bonus!

David said...

Fall has always been my favorite too. As nice as spring is, fall is far superior. Like Kristin and Sharon said, its all about being warm inside when its cold outside. And I like Royce's idea of pumpkin pie.

So when is the next MofM concert?

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Trailady - I spent two months camping out in Montana last year. I was not far from the actual "Big Sky", the town in Montana, and was in a mountainous area just west of there. I traveled with my two cats. It was just beautiful. Summers are dry and not too hot.