Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Forgiveness Plant...

I believe in living life to the fullest. I believe in loving and accepting people- even if they think differently. I believe in humility and in learning simple lessons...

In the midst of our troubles at my husbands former place of employment, the Boss's wife sent a plant home for me- kind of a token gesture after denying me the opportunity of helping with a Shar-a-thon. (After the way she had regarded my husband and me I did not want her blasted plant!) I put it on the back of my piano and refused to water it. The beautiful foliage shriveled. Weeks went by, each time I walked by and saw the plant turning brown I felt a small sense of triumph. Then one day, as I walked by, I looked at the now dead plant and the Spirit of God said to my heart, "Okay, you've had your revenge, now WATER IT!" "What?? I asked. "It's already dead, I may as well go dump it out in the yard." I sad aloud. But again I had the strong impression, "Water it, right now". So I picked up that crispy plant and carried it gently into my kitchen counter. I began pulling away the dead foliage. "This is silly, there's nothing left of it", I said to myself. He responded, "Just trust Me and do as I say". I continued to pull away the dead parts until all that was left was a dead base. However, I was amazed to find that above the deadness of the root area, there was one small green piece left. I cut it off, stuck it in a little water and left it on my window sill. Weeks went by, I forgot all about it. Then I remembered and went to check- it had grown some roots, so I re-planted it. As I placed that tender green shoot in the potting soil, some of my anger dissolved. Again the whisper in my heart spoke to me saying, "This is your forgiveness plant. Right now, you have chosen to forgive, but there isn't much forgiveness in your heart. You feel like your life has been destroyed like this plant. Keep watering this little shoot and as the plant grows again, so will your forgiveness. I WILL bring healing to your life".


I cried.

I have been caring for the plant and it's growing. It has 6 shiny leaves now and more are coming. In the midst of so many trials, there is still hope- even for a sinner like me...

4 comments:

billie said...

it only takes one root to grow a plant. it only takes a spark to get a fire going...

Linda said...

What a sweet and gentle way the Lord has of teaching us His lessons. Thanks for sharing this!

Charley & Marianne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charley & Marianne said...

Wow...a forgiveness plant! Thanks for sharing that. I love plants and I love forgiveness. My heart breaks that so many in my family hold on to anger and bitterness and their lives are shrivelled up like that plant on your piano! How I pray for them that they could experience what you have experienced....what we all have experienced in Christ when we receieve and exstend forgivness.