Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Do You Know How to Love?

In one of my songs, entitled 'Total Surrender' I state "I thought I knew how to love". The older I get, the more I see what a wharped picture of Love I had. You see, Love isn't being nice to someone so they'll be nice back or do what you want- that's manipulation. Love isn't trying to convert someone in order to gain another baptism notch on your belt- that's pride. Love doesn't ever abandon or abuse a friend, neighbor, family member, child or stranger- that's selfishness. Love doesn't go around condemning people to Hell because they have real struggles- that's self-righteousness. Love doesn't turn people away because they're different or fail to be perfect- that's cruelty. Love doesn't play tit-for-tat. Love is kind just because- no strings attached. We love in part because it does other people good, but ultimately by showing Love, we ourselves expand. I can't tell you how often I pass people at the gym, the store etc. I smile at them and they look at me like I'm nuts! No smile in return... okay, should I stop smiling? Nah- it's good to smile at people! There was a time when I would be friendly and work with someone- hoping to gain them as a church-member, but if after my persuasive efforts, they decided not to follow through and get baptized, I was offended. I took it personally and that was pretty much the end of my interaction with them. I would move on to another prospect.... isn't that pathetic?! I've hurt people on this journey of mine and I'm NOT proud of that. I've learned a lot though- I wouldn't act that way today. Jesus suffered and gave His life, knowing full well that many would never accept the gift. He could have said, "Okay people, that's it, I've worked miracles, I fed you & preached to you and you still don't get it! I've had it- I'm going home- to Hell with you!" But He didn't. He stayed and gave anyway, because that's who He is. What would happen if we loved people- just because?

5 comments:

BrainSyke said...

very beautiful things you've said. I really appreciate the reminder. love is indeed a lot more patience than anything else :-)

Royce said...

This is a reply to your comment on my wifes blog. When I was growing up, even into my late twenties I abhored the thought of having children, of course now that I have my own I cannot go without seeing them for more than a few hours a day!!! There was a newborn found dead in a Porta-Potty on a construction site, security cameras recorded a pregnant girl going and coming out ( well, in pregnant, out not ). Cheyenne ( our youngest ) was not even a year old when I saw the news. I could not put her down for several days afterwards, How could anyone hurt such a precious little thing, how could they make it so their babies first and last moments were drowning in feces and urine. Still makes me nauseous, angry, sad, and I don't know what else, anyway gunna' go hug the kids.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

TRAILADY - you seem to have gotten more and more well rounded in your "journey" and I bet you have a lot more fun now and feel a lot freer. Been there, done that, with the religious bondage to all this stuff you think you should do. And I do know that people judge innocently, thinking that this is exactly what God wants them to do. The Word of God is not complete without knowing Him. Much of it could screw you up bigtime otherwise.

Hasan Mubarak said...

Love's purity comes from the fact that it always gives and never ever does expect anything in response. Jesus did it because he had the ability to love in it's true sense...

And, you are always welcome to comment at my place. In fact, your opinion was true to its core.

I, myself, believe that all faiths have roots from the same source, and, as a believer, I would condemn anyone who dis-respects Muhammad, Jesus, Moses or any of God's Holy men...

Anonymous said...

:)