Sunday, February 19, 2006

Superheroes?

I've always had a hard time when people ask me who my hero is or if I could be a superhero, what would I be like? I'm really not the kind that hero-worships people- none are perfect- they will let you down. There are many people who have earned my respect- so here they are:
Joni Eareckson Tada & the late Christopher Reeves- who have blessed others despite devastating paralysis.
Ghandi- for his love for ALL men & passive resistence
Corrie Ten Boom and others like her- survived the Holocaust and were able to forgive
Julie Andrews- carries herself with such great dignity & grace, her voice will always be an inspiration to me
Twila Paris- for writing such beautiful, worshipful music from her heart
Rich Mullins- a simple genius who was not ashamed to be called a Ragamuffin
Bono from U2- for being optimistic for peace & humanitarian efforts
Billy Graham- for a lifetime focus on sharing the simple elegance of the Gospel
Helen Keller- though she lacked sight, she did not lack vision
Princess Diana- had many struggles, but chose to do humanitarian work
Nelson Mandela- for his great courage in the face of adversity
Karen Minner- lived life to the fullest and faced an untimely death with courage
Martin Luther- sought and found a merciful God and sparked a reformation
Martin Luther King, Jr.- for being brave enough to have a dream!
Pope John Paul- this man visited and forgave his would-be assasin
Laura Ingalls Wilder- left us a beautifully detailed & entertaining record of life in early America
Cassie Bernall & Rachel Scott- for saying "Yes, I believe in God" that terrible day in Columbine, CO.
Tony Campolo- for being a moderate voice in an extreme religio-political atmosphere.
Prophet Muhammad- a reasonable man who reverenced God, women and his fellow man.
Mother Theresa- for her loving, self-sacrificing work among the poor of India
The Dalai Lama- for his open-heartedness and wise teachings
Jesus Christ- the One who ultimately gave His life because He would rather die than live without me.
My "super-heroes"? They are the single parents doing their best to raise healthy children, those who survive catastrophic events and still find something to smile about, the ones who are faced with insurmountable odds and keep moving forward...
This list will probably grow as I get older. Who do you respect??

3 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

That is a very long and interesting list. Really made me think. I'll have to compile one of my own these days and post it. I think we all should reflect a little more about who respect and want to be like. Insightful.

Aiman said...

Hallo,

Thank you for mentioning the Prophet Muhammad in your list. We Muslims also respect and revere Jesus as a prophet.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting Billy Graham. He is a wonderful man! I gave my heart to God during one of his crusades long ago.