Thursday, February 23, 2006

What A Night!!!

I have assisted women in labor for over a decade now. My job as a Doula is to coach and encourage the weary mothers, to make them as comfortable as possible and assist in any way I can in order to help create a beautiful birth atmosphere. It's both a priviledge and an honor to do so. I got a call last evening around 6:30pm saying labor had started and they wanted me to come. I made some quick phone calls and arrangements, then headed to the birthplace of my client and friend for the birth of her new baby. Things went slowly at first and we were all able to get some rest for a few hours before things really got underway and her second beautiful, healthy baby boy was born quite speedily! Praise God!! There are few things more sacred to me than having the honor of attending a birth or a deathbed. Life and death- both are rites of passage. Whether someone is giving birth or passing away, the experience deserves to be treated with dignity & reverence. I always pray that a birth will go well and I'm so very pleased that once again, the midwives were skilled and we had no major problems to deal with. I weep with joy along with the baby's parents- so beautiful to see a family grow! This time, I even got to pick the middle name for the child- as they hadn't completely decided what to name him. So I chose the name Kudzahoopi (HA- just kidding!) No seriously, I picked the name Isaiah after my favorite prophet in the Bible. I had MUCH trouble in childbirth as my husband is large and I am small- labor was long- I'm lucky to be alive, but God was merciful to me. All I went through was worth it when I looked into the eyes of my precious newborns for the very first time. (I would have loved more babies, but I am content with 4.) What a precious gift children are! I'm "walking on sunshine" today to have witnessed yet another miracle and I will sleep very well tonight! In addition to this most recent delivery, my sister-in-law Crystal just gave birth to a baby girl, Zoe Michelle 2 wks ago- making me an Auntie! God is good!!

14 comments:

BrainSyke said...

congradulations! Lots of love, God's blessings, good fortune for Zoe michelle.

Anonymous said...

I live this entry...It makes me want to have a child. I am so happy that everything went well and that is wasn't twins!!!

Anonymous said...

I meant "love" this entry...oops sorry for the typo.

~Dizzy Miss Lizzy~ said...

You did experience a true miracle. Each birth is a little miracle, bringing a new life into the world. I wish only the best for the new born!
“Birth is the sudden opening of a window, through which you look out upon a stupendous prospect. For what has happened? A miracle. You have exchanged nothing for the possibility of everything.”

Van Cong Tu said...

Such a beautiful blog, words and pictures.

Fahd Mirza said...

child is a labour of love.

Congrats to you for becoming an aunt.

You are perfect for this job, because of your ultra tenderness.

Royce said...

I had reservations about watching the birth of my daughter, don't know really why just did.
I watched anyway and I was stunned, that absolutely is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I agree with Mohammed on his writings about mothers, truly amazing

Gingers Mom said...

That is so cool. Since having kids of my own, I have had thoughts about becoming a birthing coach or doula - although right now my kids are too little for me to have that freedom with time. What a miracle and blessing to be able to watch it all happen and share in that joy! I have never had a doula, but my mom has been there every time. I think having a woman with experience present at the birth of a child is so important. As supportive and wonderful and IMPORTANT it is to have your husband there, it is peaceful knowing there is an experienced woman at hand.

Aiman said...

May God bless you always!

Tim Rice said...

You have a very sacred vocation assisting with the birth of new babies. It's sounds like you are fulfilled in filling that important role.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I have checked out your website and listened to the many songs you have written & love each of them. You were a real blessing in 2 from gal! I loved your voice (except the night of the man singing your part--lol)! You are a real blessing just from watching you on stage, backstage and now reading the many different things you do, have done and servant's spirit you and your husband have! Thank you for your testimony! The birth sounds amazing...a very fortunate mommy to have you by her side! You, your husband and minsitry will be in my prayers! May God continue to bless you!! Kathy (Joseph/JC's mom)

Trailady said...

Thank you to all my visitors!

Kathy, I'm thrilled that you visited! Your son was truly a blessing in the play. What a powerful voice and a good sense of humor he has! It was great to get to know him a bit. I wish JC the best in his musical pursuits. :o)

kairosnow said...

awesome! and we are expecting too...on easter sunday!:). I needed to read this to be prepared for this joyous event. I'll need your prayers!.

Trailady said...

Congratulations to you, Chez! Happy parenting. God is good!! :o)