Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A Painful History...

As Black History Month wraps up, we watched a video with our kids tonight about the marches for freedom in Birmingham, Alabama back in the 1960's. It's a crying shame how our black brothers were treated! I'm young enough that I never really experienced much of the hatred. It's beyond me how one race could call themselves superior to another and use the Bible to justify that attitude. White bigotry & arrogance caused great suffering to many! The video doesn't hold back in showing the violence and intimidation tactics that were used to try and keep African Americans from having a voice and equal privileges. I wept to see black people walking peacefully down the street being attacked by dogs, high pressure fire hoses, and brutally attacked by policeman with batons. Did you know that 5,000 young people were put in prison in one week for no other crime than protesting the poor treatment they received?! Inspired by the non-violent approach of Martin Luther King, Jr. they stood willingly & bravely for freedom. When viewing the same footage we saw tonight, President John F. Kennedy said, "It makes me sick to my stomach to see how black citizens are being treated". His last great act was to endorse integration. He was assasinated 5 months later. I grew up around black people- my friends & neighbors. I laughed & cried with them and we played B-ball on the court. I heard their stories & babysat their children. Slavery/Segregation are ugly scars on our nation's history, but today we are healing. Let it happen- don't keep hatred alive... This topic got me thinking about Religious bigotry & segregation which is VERY much a reality today. These attitudes build walls of separation between family, neighbors and denominations. Again, the Bible is often used to justify all of this behavior. If someone else doesn't live, look or believe exactly the same way, can we not respect their freedom of choice and be friends? For many years, God's people have been split into various factions. Many Christians & Jews feel they are superior to Muslims and unfortunately, the opposite is also true. This saddens me. If there is to be mistreatment, let it not be on the part of those who claim to follow Jesus Christ, for there was NO arrogance found in Him! He was humble, obedient to God's principles of love, forgiveness and sacrifice- even unto death. Until I love my neighbor enough to die for him/her I am not Christ-like enough.

6 comments:

Masood Ahmed said...

Trailady...thanks or commentig on my posts..I see in your blog a person who has immense love for fellow human beings. There was a time when I got intereted in the black history of america. Alex Hailey's "Roots" left a long lasting impression on my heart and mind. That brought another subject of Alex Hailey into my reading interests, yes Malcolm X. Although Malcolm X initially belonged to Nation of Islam but later on he converted to orthodox Islam and became a proponent of white black equality. Sadly he was assasinated. You live in Tennessee, i guess he is buried there. I wish you peace always.

Trailady said...

Thank you Masd! Peace to you as well. :o)

~Dizzy Miss Lizzy~ said...

It is sickening when we realize all of the mistreatment humans do to each other. Throughout history different races have always been trying to conform other. But all we need to do is love each other and have respect for others belief. Everyone is human, it should not matter what their skin colour, sex or religion is. We must all just learn to be at peace with one another. There is no superior race, we are all just part of the human race. And that's it, nothing more and nothing less.

kairosnow said...

How blessed, how blessed you are!!!. Those were lovely soothing thoughts. I'm so glad that you are able to see through things so clearly.

The speeches of MLK Jr still manages to bring to a chill down the spine, every single time I listen to him.

I'm going to link this beautiful post in my blog.

Gingers Mom said...

Very eloquent. Our nation has an amazing history - maybe not all beautful, but one that overcomes evil and hatred over and over.

Anonymous said...

The time I lived in the south as a boy, they still called black people niggers and we kids werent allowed to mix. We have come a long way since then.