Monday, June 26, 2006

Awesome Weekend Trip!

I'm back from West Virginia. Had a wonderful trip with the Mercy Girls! We left Friday afternoon and drove the beautiful trip up I-81 through Virginia, then we branched off onto some more remote highways through the mountains- GORGEOUS!! We made a lot of girl talk, laughed, practiced and awed over the scenary. Arrived in nowheresville W. VA at midnight. Our hotel was a little hole in the wall- not fancy, but at least we had running water & inside toilets! I called my husband to let him know we arrived safely, then fell asleep. The next day was quite full. Overall, the campmeeting was pretty conservative. Some of you know what I mean- still singing songs from waaaaaaay back when- nothing current allowed. So our concert for the adults was quite conservative. They didn't respond much and weren't really expressive during the concert, but several expressed appreciation afterward. Then our evening concert was way down the hill in a musty old barn where they banished the young people ages 10-up because they don't like the way they worship. Rather than just loiter around the campgrounds feeling rejected, these kids made the best of it. They actually fixed the empty hayloft into something kinda cool. They were very much into the modern praise & worship music, but even when MofM led some traditional hymns- they sang right along with us. These kids love God!! We pulled out our energetic music and had a great time. They were one of the most supportive audiences we've ever had. They got a little rowdy during a couple of our songs, but they made us do 2 encores. When it was my turn to speak, I shared a little of my testimony. I told them God loves their energy & enthusiasm, that God accepts praise from a sincere heart and encouraged them to never let anyone frown on them because they are young. They have a special place in the heart of God and an annointed purpose in the church. When the concert finished, girls were crying, guys were hugging. We were swamped with teenagers wanting to get their pictures taken with us, wanting to hug us and asking us to pray with & for them. (We didn't realize it, but many of the kids who were there were from a special boarding school for drug addicts, misdemeanors, and kids from abusive homes. Much of our audience were African American- which thrilled me!!! I think I was far more blessed by this weekend than those who heard us sing. We dropped into bed at midnight and got up at 4am to head back. I listened to my new Ipod (birthday gift from my husband to use on trips) and read scripture during the 8 hr drive back. Tears were streaming from my eyes as I reflected on the love & joy those kids brought to the table this weekend. I listened mostly to Fernando Ortega hymns. His music is so soothing & really moves me. I had a strong sense of peace- even if for a brief time. God is good!!

When I arrived at my exit, my family was there to pick me up. I was very happy to see them and glad to be home. We spent the rest of Sunday together, then put the kids to bed. Now we're up and running Monday morning. I'll write more later, but for now I've gotta jet to the 'Y'! I'm leading YMCA day camp for girls 4 days this week- should be really fun and my girls get to participate for free because I'm the leader! :o)

8 comments:

BrainSyke said...

lovely to hear from you so happy! :-)

Unknown said...

Uh.. i was born in nowheresville WVa and most of my "kin" still live up there. It is a beautiful state!

starry said...

Just stopped to say hello. You have a nice blog.

Raheel Lakhani said...

Glad to know that you had a wonderful time :)

Sam!! said...

Nice to know u had a great time n u enjoyed:)

Always there praying for u friend.

Takecare

David said...

Oh man! I was at the campmeeting in New Market, VA. I wish I had known you were in WV. I'd have gone there instead! Maybe one day.

Christie's Corner said...

hi,
just stopped to say hi,

I see ur a christian, I like that, I too love campmeetings,
we just had one last May 4 young ppl only and my, was it great, we had a swell time singing, dancing and praising the lord.
God is sure GOOD!!

Trailady said...

Welcome to my new visitors & thanks for the comments!! Please feel free to return anytime. :o)