Sunday, June 04, 2006

What's Goin' On...

Whewwww! BUSY weekend!! :o)

After 11 years with the radio ministry, my husband was suddenly "let go for financial reasons" Friday morning. It's a bummer- wish we'd known this was coming BEFORE we sold the house we built to follow the job down here. That was just over a year ago!!!! Yet I do think we have the possibility for major life improvement here. My man said for years that working in radio was like having 2 wives. One could share time with him and the other couldn't. Guess who sacrificed? Sure hope my man will be able to find something of equal or greater income SOON or who knows what's going to happen to us... I refuse to wallow in self-pity.

'Message of Mercy' had 2 performances this weekend- both went quite well. We debuted a new song I wrote for the group called 'Whosoever Will'. I think it went over well & matched what the speakers had to say 100%. I love it when that happens!!
We also got to participate in JFEST this year. The local Contemporary Christian station rented a fairground and threw a big concert bash. We hung around the 'Ripple Productions' booth. It was GREAT- they had a petting zoo & everything. The kids loved it!! Music was awesome, the fellowship was wonderful. I was TOTALLY in my element. Glad we could be involved. Hope next year 'Message of Mercy' will be on that stage...

We ended up spending Sat. night at the home of some friends who are in a similar situation as us. It is comforting to be near them- don't feel so alone when we hang out. Everybody needs some friends just to "crash" with. You know, the kind you can relax, play games, veg and let your hair down with. Today, my husband napped for nearly 5 hours- partly his way of coping/escaping our situation. I'm here for him if/when he needs me but- at the same time, this is his battle. I'm trying to give him time and space to figure things out. He's a big boy- I'm not going to research job possibilities for him or even advise him this time around. If he wants a job, he'll have to do the groundwork to get one. His approach right now is to "just wait-n-see what comes around". I want to be supportive of his way of thinking, God can open doors. At the same time a job doesn't just fall into your lap, you have to look for it. I would be more laid back in my thinking if it weren't for the fact that we have 4 kids to feed. I choose to believe God is faithful and I'm looking to the future with hope for something better for all of us...

Still can't shake that trembly, unsettled feeling inside... I feel ashamed of this- wish I were stronger... I read stories of women around the world and the many challenges they face- my struggles seem small in comparison. These poor women are burying their children. In a way, I'm thankful that my biggest concern is how to feed mine.

8 comments:

Andy said...

Pray, pray and pray - yes God will open doors, but you both must pray for the wisdom to see when the doors are opened, because it is just as easy to miss an obvious door being opened.

When I landed my current job a few months ago, I wasn't seeking it, but we had prayed that God would open an opportunity for me to work closer to home. When he opened that door, I stepped right through, because it was such a clear and obvious sign.

Remember, too, that God has a reason for closing this particular door. Pray that you both will be aligned with God's will on the next step - and while He will open up another professional opportunity for your husband, keep in mind that the reason for that job might not be about the job at all, and there could very well be a ministry opportunity that he's opening up.

Marcel said...

TLady,

One small concern to share about what I just read. Having some background in Psychology, and having been unemployed for a period of four months at one time in my previous marriage, please pay attention to your man's behavior and look for warning signs that point to mild depression. Sometimes, "escaping" and unusual long naps translates well to avoiding despair and hopelessness (symptons of depression), which he may be feeling inside at an extremely-emotional level and not fully sharing (because he's male, and we tend to harbor it to avoid transparency and weakness). The irony here is that as much as you say "he's a big boy" (and we all agree, he needs to fight this battle, not you), he also needs your encouragement, support and even motivation to validate and build up his confidence now more than ever. Especially if his love language, at this crucial time, is "Words of Affirmation."

Andy is right on about open and closed doors. In the meantime, also pray for God to sustain him emotionally and for you to pick up some of that emotional slack.

I'm praying for you, sistah!

BrainSyke said...

Sorry to hear about the news you broke to us. It is certainly a difficult time. I can compeltely understand. I have seen my parents go through this and cope up with it as I grew, and I seem to go through the same things quite frequently (as I am an independant consultant) - as recently as this past april.

One thing I have learnt is the toughest will come and the toughest will go. How they come and how they go is mostly in our hands. When they come and when they go isnt!

I agree with Marcel. You need to bring your husband out of depression, so he may rediscover his energy, hope, passion, and strenghts to strife in constancy. Losing job is hard to deal with no doubt.

at a recent occassion I heared someone quote someone else saying :"What lies behind us, and before us is nothing compared to what lies with in us"

MovinMan said...

Whoa. We'll be praying for you.

Jody said...

I think you have your usual great attitude here, even though you feel frightened and nervous. God could really use this time to open doors or lead your family in a way you never thought possible. This could actually be a very exciting time if you let it, but the fear is often mind numbing.
My husband is on disability for A WHILE due to a worker's comp case and we both are wondering what's happening and what God is going to do- what doors are opening. I will pray for your situation, too, because sometimes we gain insight into our own troubles when we look upon someone else!

Roseuvsharon said...

Please call me!!!

You are reciting a phase of our lives. Karl and I have already been through this when we lived in Arizona. I said the exact same words, God's not going to just drop a job in your lap out of the sky....but He did!!!!

Please call me!!!

I tried to call you but I had the wrong number. I'll email you my phone number just in case you don't have it still.

There is so much I could tell you, having been through this once with Karl.

Call, Please!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate that you guys are going through this because I have been there! My wife and I had just sold our home and had a 6month old when I was suddenly laid off. Looking back on that day (three years ago) God had his hand on it because I am now more successful and he took care of me all the while. Believe me, he was laid off for a reason, you may never know why, but look at it like this: it's scary but also exciting because God is about to make a move. The hard part is that He works on God time and we want it on our time.

Hang in there. I wish I could offer you more, but I give you my prayers. Your Bro, Donny

Trailady said...

Thanks everybody. I fluctuate between feeling very sad and feeling elated. I honestly believe this could be a way for our lives to improve drastically. We'll see...

I believe God IS capable of dropping a job in someone's lap- that's the easy way- just to sit and say, "God will provide", but most of the time I think it's wiser to pray about it, then go pass out resumes, look in the paper and knock on doors. I will keep my readers posted as to how this all turns out... stay tuned...