Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Hope for Today & Tomorrow...

Today I meditated on some verses from scripture. I actually bounced around to different stories in the Bible. I read about the challenges the great men of God faced. You know, they weren't always the happy-go-lucky kind of people either. Especially King David. In a way, you could consider Psalms to be his blog. He made plenty of mistakes and said a lot of things that might have sounded selfish and negative like "Lord, everybody hates me- destroy those who are against me". Also sounds like he struggled with depression a time or two. I can relate to him because he basically bounced around for most of his early life with no place to really call home. He never held back or stuffed his praise- nor did he hide his sadness or anger. Nope, he prayed, he danced, wept, wrote music and vented- which is healthy BTW. The book of Psalms made it into the Bible. Why?
Anyway, I noticed a recurrent theme, both in scripture and history. The thought came to me again- the stronger the opposition, the greater the opportunity. Man, I feel like having a shirt made with this saying on it! God is the Master at overcoming crazy odds. Seriously, look at all the evil that was stacked against people like Job, Joshua, Daniel, Elijah, Moses, Noah, Jesus Christ. Yet they were faithful- kept hanging in there. God did amazing things for them and they were a blessing to their fellow man! This is what keeps me going...
Few good things in life come easy. Ghandi, Martin Luther, Muhammad, Abraham Lincoln, etc. ALL had to walk through devastation more than once, but look at the good that came from it all. Thank God they didn't give up!! Today as I listened to my favorite Christian radio station- J103, it was almost as if every song was hand-picked for me. I mean, everything applied so well to my current situation:
Scott Krippayne sang, "Sometimes He calms the storm when He whispers peace be still He can settle any sea, but it doesn't mean He will, Sometimes He holds us close and lets the wind & waves go wild. Sometimes He calms the storm and other times He calms His child." Then the group Barlow Girl sang 'Never Alone'- wow, what an awesome song!!!!
I feel so very encouraged! I will cry whenever necessary, otherwise I keep smiling and being hopeful for my future and that of my family.
Last night, although he was tired from hanging trim all day, my man held me for a long time. Didn't say much, just let me cry. I love his quiet strength.

If God can redeem, bless and use a whore, a cheater, a murderer, even a donkey- I've got to believe He can bring something good from my life as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I am first to respond to this one! You are truly an inspiration as I read your thoughts. As I travel helping with disaster releif you would be amazed how many time I see people completely devastated and still smiling. Theres a strength there that endures in hardest of times. I think you have this in spades.

Tim Rice said...

I think we all cycle through these emotions and feelings in life. Some are just more open about it than others. May you feel God's presence as you go through these difficult times.

Anonymous said...

Your words inspire me! You hit the nail on the head when you said God loves to come through for us. He loves to be the hero for you and he had proved it over and over. My prayers are with you guys. Hang in there!