Thursday, March 02, 2006

Exotic Beauty -vs- Simple Elegance

I've been thinking about flowers recently. They are popping up all over the place as Spring arrives in TN. Flowers remind me of people. There are SO many varieties, shapes & colors. According to florists, Roses are the most popular. Why? Well, because they are stunningly beautiful and have an intoxicating, sweet smell. Roses come in all kinds of colors, red, white, black, pink, yellow, peach- but they still have thorns. Though I certainly admire them, Roses aren't my favorite flowers. I associate them with sadness as they fade within 2-3 days after receiving them. They are delicate and don't last long before their petals wilt. My favorite flower is the Carnation. Why? They are cheerful, hearty little blooms that also come in a variety of colors. Far less costly than Roses, Carnations blend well with other buds and are enduring. With proper care, they last for weeks on my kitchen table. Their warm, spicy scent is subtle- not overpowering. They say genetically only certain people can actually smell the Carnation's perfume. I remember back in Highschool, I felt like a wall-flower among so many roses. The guys were ga-ga over the exotic beauties. Some of those girls were truly sweet, while others looked good, but vainly toyed with boys and left behind a chain of broken hearts. So many of my friends who were cute & kind were overlooked. Many of us would try to compete with the fairer ones, by being funny & friendly but we always got the cold shoulder. I'm older now. As I look around, I see many of the "roses" have faded somewhat and I am content to be simply elegant. I don't feel a need to be the most stunningly beautiful woman around. Why? Because my heart is growing, it's not all about "me" anymore and somebody loves me. I'm learning to accept myself for who I am. My husband tells me I'm getting better with age. Is he correct in saying so? I don't know, but it makes me feel good to hear it anyway. If you were a flower, what kind would you be & why?

6 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I also like carnations for the same reason. I like beauty that is also tough and durable.

I didn't know I was special for being able to smell them.

kairosnow said...

tough question for a man to answer :)

~Dizzy Miss Lizzy~ said...

It is very true to compare exotic beauty with a rose, and how it has thorns. Because sometimes the girls who everyone thinks isso pretty has their thorns waiting to prick you when you least expect it. I would have to say Simple Elegance is and should be much prefered. But their is nothing wrong with being exotic as well :D

Andy said...

I'm with Chez, don't know what sort of flower I would be, although a sunflower's pretty cool - it exudes a fun, sunny disposition, which is the disposition I want to have more of, and with God's help, I'm working on it!

Tim Rice said...

If I were a flower, a simple wild buttercup would be me. They're small but satisfying especially in a field along with many others.

Anonymous said...

I say my most favorite flower would be the tiger lily. They are bright. I guess if I were a flower thats the one Id be. Tigers growl first an ask questions later, kind of like me sometimes.