Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Seriously Human!

My 5 year old daughter is active in a clown ministry team. They go to visit nursing homes & hospitals, helping cheer those who are lonely & sad. Most people seem to enjoy these kids in wigs. There are some however, who will sit back, completely resistent, frowning no matter what the cute little clowns say or do. Want a liberating experience? Put on a clown costume and be silly for a while. (If you paint your face- nobody's gonna know it's you anyway!) Did you know medical research shows that 5 minutes of hearty laughter has the same effect on the cardiovascular system as 15 minutes of jogging? Giggling is good for your health! Smiling works facial muscles that help keep the face from sagging pre-maturely.
I've been thinking recently about how sometimes we take ourselves way too seriously. You probably know what I'm talking about? The somber kind of people who will never smile for fear their face will crack- those who feel they are somehow above or beyond laughter. They cannot dance before the Lord, because they feel it's below their dignity. Bad things happen- that's a fact of life- we all have our share of challenges but constantly lingering in a dismal state of mind is NOT good for us. It's a sad thing when we lose our ability to laugh and it greatly reduces our enjoyment in life when we are too intense or heavy-hearted.

That's why I believe God allows us to have the following:

1) Hiccups- we all get them and often at the worst possible moment
2) Goosebumps- what a strange phenomenon
3) Earwax- yep, we all get it
4) Elbow skin- it's very saggy & feels funny
5) Feet- I like having them, but I think they look very strange & they can smell purty bad
6) Bad hair days- you KNOW that's why hats were invented!
7) Cats- nobody can put us in our place faster than our ultra-dignified feline friends

It's healthy to have a reasonable sense of dignity, but when we get carried away with an ego trip, taking ourselves too seriously, remember that we all put our pants on the same way. We all take bathroom breaks, get morning breath, have gas and smell when we sweat. We're only human! So I'm learning to lighten up, laugh a little, smile at someone just because and when I get to the gym today I'm gonna dance & sweat like crazy. If you make a mistake or get cut off in traffic, try laughing it off. I tell this to my oldest child all the time. She is VERY intense and it robs her of so much joy in life. I'm trying to teach her by example how to relax a little. What about being human keeps YOU down to earth??

4 comments:

Andy said...

The silliness of my kids - because they pick up on my little mistakes and call me on it, and we simply laugh.

Of course, coaching T-ball right now also keeps me human...nothing like telling a 5 year old to run to 2nd base from home plate...and he cuts across the mound to do it.

Fallen Angel said...

I just want to thank you for all of your kind and positive thoughts on my blog. First of all thanks for coming to my blog in the first place. And your words are always kind and wise. I respect you very much for you ability to work at the gym and ymca. You must be in great shape. And that is something that is hard to do, especially after kids. I am starting. I am realizing the importance of it inside and out. I amd a nurse. And everyday I see the effects of bad decisions in life. I do not want to end up like that. And I find that exercise is so good for my outlook, for my mood, for my personality. I need it more than I think I do. It is my antidepressant. And looking hot is such a pleasant side effect.

I just wanted to come by. Let you know that I read your blog regularly, even if I don't always comment. So does my husband. I always appreciate your comments and and glad that you have stopped by.

You are right, we look at our journeys differently. But I think we are very much alike. What I call kindred spirits.

Royce said...

What keeps me human?....
I can't spell for crap, even though I am an avid reader.
I think every direction is north.
And I ALWAYS stub my little toes.

Deb said...

i am human? i thought i was angelic. wahahahahahah

okay okay..seriously...my black thumb...i can even kill fake plants...which let me tell you is a serious source of comedic pleasure amongst my family